This site is great

carlp

Apr 8, 2015
Los Gatos, CA
Hi All,
My wife and I said for years we would not like to have a pool, and then we had kids and realized how great a pool would be. We moved into a place in November 2012 with a recently redone kidney pool. I think the pool has been there since the 70s, but about a year before we bought it they did a beautiful rehab of the backyard, including pebble on the pool, all new tile and pavers, etc. We have really really enjoyed the pool, and my kids can't get enough of it.

I'm an engineer and I've been learning about pool chemistry, equipment, etc (primarily from TFPC!) and I've been increasingly annoyed with the pool service that we inherited from the previous owners. I finally got really frustrated and fired them yesterday -- My test strips have been showing things out of balance for months, and repeated communications with the pool guy got me no where. Finally I ordered an FAS-DPD, and also took a bottle of water to Leslie's for testing.

FC was 10, PH was off the scale low (yellow), TA was 20, CYA was 30, Salt was 2500. I know that some of the underground piping is copper, and a really hope that the water wasn't acidic enough to cause permanent harm. I ordered some copper (and iron) test strips as well. Its all in balance now, and I bought 17 boxes of 20 mule team borax for this weekend!

One other question I have -- the pool service uses a leaf vacuum that they attach to the hose that normally runs my Polaris 280, and they go around and clean up the bottom of the pool. They also do a little bit of spot brushing, and thats it. I've never seen them brush down the whole pool. Most of the comments on this site indicate we really should be brushing once a week. I ordered a good brush, but I have a feeling I'm going to get lazy and let it go longer than weekly. Anyone have a strong feeling on that?

Anyway, thanks all for being great. It feels like we all really need to stick together, with so much pool store and pool product companies spreading misinformation. Have fun swimming!

Welcome to the Enlightened side! :wave:

As for brushing, I bet most people aren't strict about it. If it goes a couple of weeks, it's no big deal. The big thing is to learn your pools personality and perform things on it's schedule.

Right on! My story is similar to yours. Didn't want a pool, got one and it was a pain, found TFP and now I love my pool. Woohoo! This is definitely the place to be to make pool ownership a pleasure.

I will say there is one drawback to TFPC. It will make you never want to swim in another pool besides your own because now you know what is going on in OPP, other people's pools. :)

Welcome to the forum Carl. :wave:

Congrats on getting a good FC kit. It's one of the essentials. Multi-analyte strips will let you down, so don't stick with those if you really want to know what's happening in your pool.

Welcome!

Pools aren't brushed enough... Mine included. I'll do mine the day be for I sweep so if I get anything off the walls or floor, it sinks n I sweep it the next day.

Hi Carlp,

Welcome to TFP!

Let me first say Thank You for helping Pogueld with her Easy Touch. Its really appreciated how you chimed in on her thread.

Next, you've found the premier resource for maintaining your own swimming pool the right way. We're glad to have you here!

I dont brush my walls. My robot cleaner does that for me! :)
It didnt take much brushing for me to decide there had to be a better way...

If you are going to brush them though, there is a thng called a whale wall brush that makes brushing a LOT easier.