Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This site is great

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool This site is great

Hi All,
    My wife and I said for years we would not like to have a pool, and then we had kids and realized how great a pool would be. We moved into a place in November 2012 with a recently redone kidney pool. I think the pool has been there since the 70s, but about a year before we bought it they did a beautiful rehab of the backyard, including pebble on the pool, all new tile and pavers, etc. We have really really enjoyed the pool, and my kids can't get enough of it.

I'm an engineer and I've been learning about pool chemistry, equipment, etc (primarily from TFPC!) and I've been increasingly annoyed with the pool service that we inherited from the previous owners. I finally got really frustrated and fired them yesterday -- My test strips have been showing things out of balance for months, and repeated communications with the pool guy got me no where. Finally I ordered an FAS-DPD, and also took a bottle of water to Leslie's for testing.

FC was 10, PH was off the scale low (yellow), TA was 20, CYA was 30, Salt was 2500. I know that some of the underground piping is copper, and a really hope that the water wasn't acidic enough to cause permanent harm. I ordered some copper (and iron) test strips as well. Its all in balance now, and I bought 17 boxes of 20 mule team borax for this weekend!

One other question I have -- the pool service uses a leaf vacuum that they attach to the hose that normally runs my Polaris 280, and they go around and clean up the bottom of the pool. They also do a little bit of spot brushing, and thats it. I've never seen them brush down the whole pool. Most of the comments on this site indicate we really should be brushing once a week. I ordered a good brush, but I have a feeling I'm going to get lazy and let it go longer than weekly. Anyone have a strong feeling on that?

Anyway, thanks all for being great. It feels like we all really need to stick together, with so much pool store and pool product companies spreading misinformation. Have fun swimming!
    -Carl
    25000 Gallon Pebble pool/spa, Intelliflo VS, Pentair IC-40 SWG, DNS-60 DE Filter, Max-E-Therm 333k BTU heater, Polaris 280
    EasyTouch, ScreenLogic, Intellibrite
    Homemade AutoFill (1/2" Hudson Valve), 20-70 GPM flowmeter (Blue-White F-30200PR)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This site is great

Welcome to the Enlightened side!

As for brushing, I bet most people aren't strict about it. If it goes a couple of weeks, it's no big deal. The big thing is to learn your pools personality and perform things on it's schedule.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Right on! My story is similar to yours. Didn't want a pool, got one and it was a pain, found TFP and now I love my pool. Woohoo! This is definitely the place to be to make pool ownership a pleasure.

I will say there is one drawback to TFPC. It will make you never want to swim in another pool besides your own because now you know what is going on in OPP, other people's pools.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum Carl.

Congrats on getting a good FC kit. It's one of the essentials. Multi-analyte strips will let you down, so don't stick with those if you really want to know what's happening in your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

Pools aren't brushed enough... Mine included. I'll do mine the day be for I sweep so if I get anything off the walls or floor, it sinks n I sweep it the next day.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Carlp,

Welcome to TFP!

Let me first say Thank You for helping Pogueld with her Easy Touch. Its really appreciated how you chimed in on her thread.

Next, you've found the premier resource for maintaining your own swimming pool the right way. We're glad to have you here!

I dont brush my walls. My robot cleaner does that for me!
    It didnt take much brushing for me to decide there had to be a better way...

If you are going to brush them though, there is a thng called a whale wall brush that makes brushing a LOT easier.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yup, the wall whale just arrived today. Amazon is great. The little polaris 280 does a pretty good job, so I'm betting the brush won't get a whole lot of use.
    -Carl
    25000 Gallon Pebble pool/spa, Intelliflo VS, Pentair IC-40 SWG, DNS-60 DE Filter, Max-E-Therm 333k BTU heater, Polaris 280
    Homemade AutoFill (1/2" Hudson Valve), 20-70 GPM flowmeter (Blue-White F-30200PR)

8. Back To Top    #8

Copper and Iron levels OK - 0.3ppm Copper (its really hard to tell the difference from 0 to 0.6) and 0 Iron. That makes me feel better. I now have 24 extra test strips that will probably expire before being used
    -Carl