Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: **Need Help Creating Water Feature / Fountain**

1. Back To Top    #1

**Need Help Creating Water Feature / Fountain**

Hello! Thanks for reading the post. I have been planning to create a water fountain going from outside of my pool to the inside mainly for the look and sound (we live close to a highway). I've been torn between working on a few DYI Laminar Flow Fountains or a long arc appearance... and after seeing the videos below I feel I have made up my mind! I think I have everything I need from the PVC, spare pump and even the Waterproof Super Bright LED strip lights, but realize I have a fairly critical obstacle to overcome. Some of the home made fountains look absolutely horrible (not in TFP of course)! Many of them spray so non-uniformly and it makes it look very cheap. Does anyone know how I could recreate what's in the videos below? Should I look to insert some kind of nozzle in every hole, are they using a trick with a dremel, is it a certain hole size or pattern I should consider?? Any advice I can get to ensure the fountain has an even and uniform flow would be very much appreciated. Thank you all for your time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvEYbZ2hlps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7w2V4vnjOQ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: **Need Help Creating Water Feature / Fountain**

Welcome to TFP!

The fountain in those videos is particularly well made. The main thing they did was to be very careful about drilling all of their holes at a uniform spacing and at exactly the same angle as each other. This can be done by just about anyone with a drill press, persistence, and patience. It might take a couple of tries to duplicate something that nice, but I don't think it is beyond your reach. Most people drill freehand, which is never going to come close to matching that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Build a carrier to hold the pipe with an index mark or screwed to the carrier on an end you will cut it off. Use that fixture in a drill press to make sure that all holes are drilled at the same angle as Jason mentioned.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the reply Jason. Do you or does anyone else have a suggestion on the hole size and how many rows I should be starting out with?

5. Back To Top    #5

I would start off with one row of 1/8" holes on 1/4" centers, see what that does, and then try variations from there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School