Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium buildup above water line

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium buildup above water line

Hi! I'm a new member and I hope I can learn new things so that I can help others as well. My pool has a lot of calcium buildup above the water line and I wanted to know how to remove it. I was thinking of using a pumice stone but I heard that it doesn't really help. Can the use of calcium hypochlorite cause this? Thank you
    7,500 gallon inground pool, superflo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium buildup above water line

It could certainly make a CH problem worse, and yes high CH with poor control of other critical parameters can help cause this problem.

As in your other thread, the essential facts needed to determine what is happening in your pool can only be found through a good test kit. It is critical for making any solid judgements about your pool chemistry. Without one, you are literally flying blind.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium on the pool wall above the water line accumulates when splashed water evaporates leaving behind any calcium it contains. So the higher your CH level, the more calcium will tend to accumulate there. Cal hypo adds calcium to the pool, so it does contribute to this issue, but isn't really the "cause" of the problem.

You can remove the calcium buildup with a dilute mixture of acid and some (usually lots of) scrubbing, or you can be more aggressive and get it off with a bead blaster.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone!
    7,500 gallon inground pool, superflo pump