CYA problem

Hi! I'm a new member and I hope I can learn new things so that I can help others as well. Currently, my pool's CYA is over 100 ppm and no matter how much chlorine I put in it, it just turns green again. I'm thinking of just draining the pool and then refill it and start over again. Do you think this is a good idea? I have tried letting the water evaporate but it didn't work. There is also a lot of calcium buildup above the water line, how can I remove that? I also use trichlor tablets so how can I prevent my CYA from rising so high again? Thanks

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods. Start with reading these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

If you continue using tabs as your source of chlorine no matter what you do you will end up back in the same place.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Welcome to TFP Martinez,

Tim has you well covered but yes, it looks like a drain of some kind is in your future. The only way to know how much of one is with a good Cya number. Evaporation equals concentration with most things in your pool water. Cya is one of those. It stays behind when the water evaporates.

If you're ready to tackle this yourself, a good kit as Tim suggests is your first step. Glad you found us, and enjoy your time on the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.