Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: millivolt heater wiith electrical connections?

1. Back To Top    #1

millivolt heater wiith electrical connections?

I have a hayward h400 ed1 millivolt heater and I noticed today that there are electric wires going from my timer to my heater. It was late so I couldn't take any pics, Does anybody know why these wires are for?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: millivolt heater wiith electrical connections?

They probably go to the heater's fireman switch. The switch allows a remote to shut off the heater. The purpose is to turn off the heater about 15 minutes before the timer turns the pump off so that the heater can cool down.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have ordered the raypak 400k BTU, and after reading the manual, I notice that it explains how to connect the fireman switch. It doesn't say if it's optional so I believe it should be connected. Should I connect it? Does it matter?

thanks
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Some heaters do better with the switch. Some manufacturers say that the new designs don't need it. My preference is to use it. Since you already have it, it should be easy to use. It might be worthwhile to email the manufacturer to see what they say.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Since you have it, use it. But they are hardly ever used/installed any more these days.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,