Help with Old As Heck Skimmer

Apr 7, 2015
Phoenix/AZ
Hello,

I have an older skimmer, unknown date of origin. It came with the house :) It is plumbed like nothing anyone has ever seen. See attached photo. There is a lip, and in this first "level" of the skimmer, you can see the main drain inlet on the right side (plumbed into the SIDE of the skimmer??)

There is another lip, and on this next, lowest "level" is the suction outlet to the pump, plumbed into the left side of the skimmer

Currently, water flows into the top of the skimmer and out the suction at the bottom. the main drain port on the side is basically worthless.

The way the first lip is cut out, it is apparent to me that a circular plate can be locked into this, closing off the top, blocking the skimmer water from entering, and creating a closed chamber whereby the suction outlet would then draw exclusively from the main drain inlet on the other side of bucket. See my attached crude drawing..

However, i can't find anything anywhere about a skimmer with this design. My guess is it is from the Roosevelt administration, and NOT the Roosevelt you're thinking of! Has anyone see anything like this ever and could you point me to where i might be able to get the part i need to block off the skim function so i can actually get some main drain action (if such a thing even exists)

Thank you kindly,

-dave

Attachments

• 20150407_173040.jpg
    20150407_173040.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 58
  • crude drawing.jpg
    crude drawing.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 57
Measure that lip where the plate should go and see if a diverter will fit.
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

If not, maybe you could make one with some plexiglass. Bore a 1½" hole in it and then attach a blockoff plate with a stainless steel screw that will allow you to open or close the hole to get a little suction to the main drain.

Unless the skimmer basket is too deep and it hits. Then I'm out of ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.