Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problems with my soalr heating controls

1. Back To Top    #1

Problems with my soalr heating controls

I use solar panels to heat my pool. I use two sensors, A Hayward Goldline valve actuator GVA-24, and a Hayward Goldline GL-235 Solar pool controller. Ever since lightening struck near my house and destroyed my computer and satellite TV receiver my pool heating system hasn't been working properly. If the pool temperature is 27C the valve will open once it is moved up to 24 rather than at 27.
    The local pool guy says I should replace my whole system but his office person says he is just trying to make sales. Technicians came and checked my system and thought it might be the sensors ($1,200US each!). It has been 4 weeks now and I'm not getting anywhere. Does anyone have nay thought s about this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problems with my soalr heating controls

What sensors? The temperature sensors? Those are less than $20 I think.

That controller costs <$300 and an actuator is <$100.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Problems with my solar heating controls

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What sensors? The temperature sensors? Those are less than $20 I think.

That controller costs <$300 and an actuator is <$100.
    It needs two temperature sensors. One to measure the ambient air temperature at the solar panels. The other measures the pool temperature. I was quoted $1,200US today.

4. Back To Top    #4

You sure it was not $12?

Do a search for "Hayward Temperature sensor" They are $25 each all over the place. Just need to be sure to get a 10k thermistor.

Altough honestly, I would not think lightning would affect the sensors ... more likely a problem in the electronics. Still $1200 is triple what replacing the whole setup would cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Something is wrong on that price. You can buy the Hayward GL-235 on amazon.com for $199. That includes the controller only and not the temp sensors and the valve actuator.
    Last edited by pooldv; 04-07-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: to correct bad info
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Holy cow, that is even cheaper than I thought
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Something is wrong on that price. You can buy the Hayward GL-235 on amazon.com for $199. That includes the controller, both temp sensors and the valve actuator.
    That is an eye opener.

8. Back To Top    #8

I know, i wanted to check to be sure and I was surprised. Everyone with solar panels should buy one of those.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I read the questions. Says it is ONLY the controller and the picture is misleading.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    I read the questions. Says it is ONLY the controller and the picture is misleading.
    Yes, you are correct. My bad. That is very misleading. 200 bucks for the controller only. But, as jblizzle said, the controller is by far the most likely thing to be damaged by a lightning strike. The temp sensors are under $30 each.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, you are correct. My bad. That is very misleading. 200 bucks for the controller only. But, as jblizzle said, the controller is by far the most likely thing to be damaged by a lightning strike. The temp sensors are under $30 each.
    I wish the sellers would provide appropriate non-misleading pics. The good part is, I now know about this controller and I did not previously. Thanks.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

After having two different sets of technicians several times out it was decided that my two sensors had been damaged by lightening. They were replaced at a much better price-about $200US each instead of $1,200US each. They do operate the valve actuator when needed but the temperature isn't exact like it used to be. Before if it was set for 29C it would turn the water off at 29. Now it doesn't turn the water off until it gets to 31-too warm. Does the solar controller sensor and the sensor for the pool temperature need to be calibrated to match?

13. Back To Top    #13

You should be able to set the temp that solar turns off to any temp you want.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

You should be able to set the temp that solar turns off to any temp you want.
    Can't. The temperature I set isn't the same temperature that it turns off at. If I set it at 29 it turns off at 31. I wondering if there is calibrating that can be done.

15. Back To Top    #15

Whatever the actual temperatures vs displayed temperatures, if you want the water cooler, just turn the goal temperature down lower than it currently is. The numbers may not match reality, but it will get cooler, which is what you want.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Whatever the actual temperatures vs displayed temperatures, if you want the water cooler, just turn the goal temperature down lower than it currently is. The numbers may not match reality, but it will get cooler, which is what you want.
    Of course. But previously the temperature on my solar controller and the digital water temperature reading on my Aqua Rite chlorine generating panel (right beside each other) were in total sync so it made life easier. I was hoping that you could recalibrate the temperature on the Solar pool Controller to get the two in sync.

17. Back To Top    #17

On my Solartouch it is possible to recalibrate the temp sensor in the advanced menu. Not sure if the gl235 has that capability or not.
    TFP Moderator