Pool Timer

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

We’re considering adding a timer to our pool system, probably an Intermatic T104R201 to control pump and heater.

I've done some minor electrical around the house but am thinking this may be better left to a pro. Is there any kind of step by step guide to installing this unit? Does it require a separate fireman's switch?

Thanks for any help,

Gary R.

Replacing is a pretty easy job but installing from scratch for both the pump and heater is likely better left to someone who knows code and can make the installation safe for you and your pool users.

OK, pool company says I don't need a fireman's switch with the type of heater I have (Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU). They installed the heater.

So what is the proper timer for my setup? We have 22V. at the pad.

I was going to but an Intermatic T104R201 but maybe some cheaper would work just as well.

Thank you,

Gary R.

OK, here's the timer I'm planning on ordering for 220-240V system just to control the pump::

T104R DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch -208-277 volt

- All metal construction. - Heavy-Duty lockable steel enclosure. - Tamper-Proof design eliminates vandalism. - Withstands temperature extremes.
- Unbreakable. - Heavy-duty gear train. - Raintight NEMA 3R. - For: pools, spas, and fountains, electric water heaters, office, commericial, outdoor lighting, signs, etc.

Description from Intermatic:
The heavy duty mechanical time switch is designed for industrial, commercial and residential applications. Features a high horsepower rating that is ideal for loads up to 40 amps resistive from 120-volts and direct 24-hour time switch control of most loads. All models are equipped with one "ON" and one "OFF" tripper. The unit contains a 1-circuit standard On/Off Double Pole Single Throw 40 Amps, 4000 watt capacity, 208-277 VAC 60 Hz.

Thank you,

Gary R.

Getting ready to have Intermatic T104R installed this week to control pump. I assume the On-Off switch on the timer would shut down the pump in the off position. Is there anyway to override the timer function to run the pump beyond where the trippers are positioned?

Thanks for any info.

Gary R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, one question about wiring. Currently, the pump and heater are wired on one 220 V.circuit and controlled with a toggle switch.
It should be a simple matter to wire the T104 the same way with the pump and heater on terminals 2 & 4. Pump use 7.5 amps and the heater about 1 amp.

Any pitfalls here?

Gary R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.