How to calculate amount of pea gravel/rock needed around pool

Jun 10, 2014
Heiskell, TN
We are about to enjoy our 2nd summer of our AG pool, last year we had it professionally installed and decided to do the landscaping ourselves, which we never got around to doing last year. i had some ideas but they didn't work out

So... have a couple questions --

1. pea gravel? river rock? or sand?

2. how to calculatte amound needed for around pool, for instance i have a quote of 1 bobcat scoop of pea gravel = 4/5 of a cubic yard, the pool is 24' round

help!

pool - finished r.jpg

How wide of a circle around the pool to you want the gravel? How thick?

If you want 3' all the way around and 3" thick ... that would be 63.6 cubic feet .. which is 2.36 yards ... about 3 "scoops"

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylakay
1. River rock. Pea gravel will stick to your feet.

2. v = pi(a^2-b^2)c

where v = volume of rock
pi = 3.14 or so
a = radius to outer edge of rock
b = radius to edge of pool
c = depth of rock

so, for a 24' diameter pool with 2 foot width of rock, 3 inches deep, a = 14', b= 12', c = 1/4'
v = 3.14 x (14^2 - 12^2) x 1/4 = 40.8 cubic feet = 1.51 cubic yards (edited to correct typo)

That's pretty close to two bobcat scoops. Adjust your numbers if you want a wider border or more depth. Use landscape fabric under rock to block weeds.

Reactions: Teenwolf74
1. River rock. Pea gravel will stick to your feet.

2. v = pi(a^2-b^2)c

where v = volume of rock
pi = 3.14 or so
a = radius to outer edge of rock
b = radius to edge of pool
c = depth of rock

so, for a 24' diameter pool with 2 foot width of rock, 3 inches deep, a = 14', b= 12', c = 1/4'
v = 3.14 x (13^2 - 12^2) x 1/4 = 40.8 cubic feet = 1.51 cubic yards

That's pretty close to two bobcat scoops. Adjust your numbers if you want a wider border or more depth. Use landscape fabric under rock to block weeds.
Close, but not quite... typo there. 82.9 cu ft. 3 cubic yards. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I may ask, how much were you quoted for river rock? We need to get some for our landscaping as well but I'm not sure what a good price might be. (Realizing this will vary some by area)

And nice to see a fellow Steelers fan. :)

RIVER ROCK!

Pea Gravel will stick to your feet and the weed eather and lawnmower shoots out them like .22 bullets! They hurt when they hit you. Bad!

Yes. Pea gravel = bad. Hurts like crazy on the next step when they stick on your feet. I broke a nice storm door one time with pea gravel with the weed eater just above idle. Glad it was tempered glass. Whatever you get, make sure you do a good border to hold it where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.