Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Snorkel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Snorkel?

Family member mentioned I should invest in one of these, claims it makes the pool so much warmer, I want to mention that he does not have a heater on his pool, I dont see how it could possibly make the pool warmer? What about the rest of you all, tried it ? Worth it ?
    27 Foot diameter 52" vinyl liner pool above ground, Hayward EC50 DE Filter, BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Snorkel?

Well, I for one have no idea what you are talking about

- - - Updated - - -

OK a quick google and I found the gimmick ... which is what it is. All it does is return the water toward the bottom. The theory being that it would better mix the water (if the top felt warmer than the bottom). There really should not be much of a temperature gradient if you have decent circulation.

This does not add heat, just tries to mix the water better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If your circulation pattern is terrible, this can help. But then again, adjusting your returns so you have a good circulation pattern will do the same thing for free.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

http://heatsnorkel.com/?page_id=32

Since heat rises, I suppose there is a modicum of truth in the claims. Yes, injecting the warm water at the bottom so that it heats the upper layers as it rises is more efficient than heating the top and losing a lot of the heat off the surface. But it seems to me that anyone who is slightly handy could build something similar with some PVC pipe a whole lot cheaper.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as the pump is running the pool is getting throughly mixed, so just pointless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School