Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Piping layout w/solar

1. Back To Top    #1

New Piping layout w/solar

Hello everyone.

I moved my equipment pad this year closer to my shed on a pad I poured last weekend. I am planning on opening this weekend, or next, and was wondering if you guys can take a look at my plumbing layout. I will add two solar panel this year to help with heating. Last year, I used just the basic black hoses, this year, I will go to such 40 PVC. Any help and criticism is greatly appreciated!

[IMG][/IMG]
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Piping layout w/solar

Check-1 is not needed. Check-2 should be on the solar return, right now it isn't clear where it actually is.

I assume the shutoffs are actually close the equipment pad. They are only needed if the equipment is lower than the pool.

You draw check valves the opposite way of how I interpret them, no big deal.

Everything else looks fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks good, except I think the vacuum breaker needs to move to top right of solar panels. And the lower check-2 valve needs to be to the left of the tee on the red pipe. The purpose of that check-2 valve is to stop water flow back to the solar panels and force water to the pool when you are in solar bypass mode.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

pooldv, the vacuum breaker is fine where it is drawn. It would also be fine where you propose, or in any of several other places (for example on either of the solar feed pipes as they go up the wall). The trend these days is to keep it lower than was common several years ago because you can run the pump at a lower speed when the vacuum breaker is lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    pooldv, the vacuum breaker is fine where it is drawn. It would also be fine where you propose, or in any of several other places (for example on either of the solar feed pipes as they go up the wall). The trend these days is to keep it lower than was common several years ago because you can run the pump at a lower speed when the vacuum breaker is lower.
    interesting. thanks!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

OK. I moved the line for the heated return, so my shapes moved. The shutoffs are about 10 feet from the pad. The only reason I had check-2 was in case something happened with the solar, to keep the water from draining down below the shutoff. The solar will be about 10-12 feet from the ground, so it might be moot to have it. Here is my updated drawing. Thanks guys.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

One minor note, for your solar 3-way, I prefer to have the common pipe be at the center port of the valve ... gives you more control. That may have been your intention, but it is not how you have it drawn.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    One minor note, for your solar 3-way, I prefer to have the common pipe be at the center port of the valve ... gives you more control. That may have been your intention, but it is not how you have it drawn.
    So from the filter, it should go to the middle of the three way? I have never used a three way, so if that makes more sense, then I will plumb it that way.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

10. Back To Top    #10

Yup, that is what I meant. It is a pretty minor difference either way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Great. Thanks guys!!
    My Build w/ lots of pics