Pressure rising: grids coming out of manifold guides

Apr 7, 2015
Granbury/Tx
Hey guys. I've been reading posts on this forum for weeks and you guys have helped me solve a lot of my issues already.

We recently bought a home with a pool that was not very well cared for. Right now the bottom of the pool is covered in DE because I was adding DE with a cracked manifold and damaged grids so it was just shooting back in and I didn't realize it. You guys helped me figure that out. I've replaced the manifold and grids and I've been trying to slowly vacuum the de out my pool the pressure is rising very quickly. I can backwash and within minutes my pressure rises to 30 psi and return flow and suction depletes. When I open up the filter the grids have slipped out of the guides on the manifold. The outlet pipe that the manifold sits on moves side to side when touched. Is this normal? Pressure gauge does go to zero when filter is off.

Unfortunately I don't have the capability to vacuum to waste.

I'm at a loss and I need your help! Please!!

Welcome to TFP!

It is normal for the pressure to go up very quickly when vacuuming up DE. The same thing would happen if you added too much DE when recharging.

For the grids falling out, I really have no idea. I suspect some part is in the wrong place or missing or something, but can't really help in any specific way.

Welcome to the forum Backroad :wave:

Are you sure they are the right replacement grids ?

When you replaced the grids did you clean out the filters housing first ?

Since replacing the grids have you added any DE or are you strictly sucking up what's already in the pool ?

Do you think there is more than 6lbs of DE in the pool ?

Thanks. I'm glad to be here.

Yes they are the correct grids. I purchased the from the place that installed the pool. Yes. I've opened up and cleaned out the filter and grids more times than I can count.

I haven't added more DE since I realized that what was covering the pool floor. I originally had thought it was sand since we live close to a sand plant. Thanks to this forum I learned better. I have no idea how much is left since I have been at this for a couple of weeks but at one point there was an entire box of de floating around in there. I so think there is probably 6 lbs left. But I can't be certain. I'm a new pool owner and unfortunately learning things the hard (expensive) way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.