Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing Through Wall Skimmer, Intex Style Rectangle Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing Through Wall Skimmer, Intex Style Rectangle Pool

Morning!

I did a search on this, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully someone can chime in.

We are considering replacing our current rectangular splash a round pool with an intex 9 x 18 rectangular pool. If we do this, I would want to install a through wall skimmer. However, I have a few questions:

Has anyone installed a through wall skimmer above the seam on a rectangular pool?

Anyone install a through wall skimmer on a rectangular pool and willing to share how it is holding up?

The water force on the walls is different for a round vs. rectangular pool, thus why the posts speaking about installing a through wall on a round pool were not able to answer these questions for me.

Thanks!!

Megan
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Installing Through Wall Skimmer, Intex Style Rectangle Pool

G'day...
    I have the same pool.. Its great... I even bought the Hayward through the wall skimmer.... I've already cut larger intake and return holes and replaced all the fittings with the larger intex ones.... I have two suction hoses that connect into one, and one return....

Because of my two suction fittings, I find I didn't have to install the skimmer, and I just use the regular over the wall intex skimmer attached to one of the suctions... Works brilliantly... If I want heavy duty skimming I just shut the plunger valve of the suction that doesn't have the skimmer attached to it and it pulls more water through it.... To be honest, when I cut the new holes for the fittings, it felt ok as it was a reinforced part of the pool, cutting a new hole in the side of the liner with only the gasket and skimmer holding it there, worries me somewhat... Many have done it, don't get me wrong, I just found I didn't have too.....

You can check my thread if you want... It is a little long....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Im selling a new through the wall skimmer on this site's classifieds in the coffee bar
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I did and its still holding strong.

Through Wall Skimmer on Rectangular Intex Ultra Frame UPDATE

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Barlidge!! This is exactly what I was looking for! We just hard plummed it without the through wall, even though I have it here in the box, because I was too nervous. I wonder if I could have the upper screws going above the seam, and cut the opening just below the seam line to keep some water height. Hm.
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a widemouth skimmer installed, upper screws above the seam and cut just below the seam line. Works like a charm, go for it
    Chris - Annika's papa

9x18 Intex ultra AGP 4500 gallon, 3200gph intex 1hp pump with 16" sandfilter, abs hardpiped, hayward skimmer, Intex SWG, 11kw heater, LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Do you lose very much in water height?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope, i'm right up to the seam line/top of skimmer opening. A couple of cannon balls and evaporation and i have to refill...
    Chris - Annika's papa

9x18 Intex ultra AGP 4500 gallon, 3200gph intex 1hp pump with 16" sandfilter, abs hardpiped, hayward skimmer, Intex SWG, 11kw heater, LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Could you post a picture of your Skimmer? Thank you
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    Could you post a picture of your Skimmer? Thank you

Chris - Annika's papa

11. Back To Top    #11

One from the inside too please?
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

12. Back To Top    #12

Chris - Annika's papa

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Annika, looks really good. The gray colour matches the pool nicely. I have only seen them in white before. Where did you get it?
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

15. Back To Top    #15

Tjenare, hur mår ni bought it on ebay, pond skimmer, half price and exactly the same as the pool labeled..

Here you go.. Standard Wide Mouth Skimmer for Above Ground Pool | eBay
    Chris - Annika's papa

16. Back To Top    #16

Have just replaced (this week) a skimmer on my Doughboy above ground pool. The pool was built in 80s and the skimmer was original. I owned it since 2005 and abused it left and right, letting it freeze in Jan as I swim in the winter and use circulation to keep it from forming ice until it drops down to single digits when I know it won't handle it anymore and disconnect the pump and close the skimmer. So this winter (I did close it and emptied the bucket) after being just fine while in use, it then cracked (found it a week ago), hence the replacement.

Problems: outside developed oxidation that broke the seal so after install it leaked. Wirebrushed it, sanded and used silicone caulk, on the outside. The leak had stopped. The process is easy.

God lykke.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the photos Annika!!