Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shopping for our first pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Shopping for our first pool

We are in the beginning stages of shopping for a pool. I've only been to two stores, aside from looking online. I find this process very overwhelming.
    The two stores we looked at are Leslie Pools and Niagara pools. We received quotes on the Ambassador and Marina from Leslie (round shape 24 & 27 ft prices ranged from $3K to 5K with installation) and from Niagara we were quoted $6800 for Oceanic 15 x 30 oval and $7300 18 x 33. It seems the pool from Niagara were a better quality than those found in Leslie; however, I know the Ambassador and Oceanic are both made by Sharkline. If anyone can contribute some insight, recommendations, or guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shopping for our first pool

Welcome.

I bought my pool from poolsupplyworld. com and installed it myself with some help.

Good luck finding a pool you like.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm new to all this so probably everyone here is more knowledgeable than I. That said, I do know that oval pools cost more than round, and give fewer gallons to swim in. So the bang for your buck is better with a round pool, if your yard can accommodate that. Unless it's just a personal preference on shape, which I do understand.

Another thing to consider is a deck, if you plan to install one. They are somewhat easier/more economical on an oval as opposed to a round pool. Also, while there is a fairly small price difference between pool sizes, there is a significant increase in the cost of decking a larger pool.

As for where to buy, we don't have either of those pool stores here so I can't speak to them specifically. I can say that an oval pool is more expensive to have installed by a professional, and more difficult to DIY, so take that into consideration as well.

Good luck!

4. Back To Top    #4

From personal experience..we saved lots of money buying our pool online. Our initial choice was an oval..but the $$ difference was a lot for us.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

5. Back To Top    #5

Last year my husband and I purchased an Intex 16' round from Toys or Us for around $400. Then we purchased from Amazon.com, an Intex saltwater generator, and a Hayward heavy duty motor and filter - which came to another $600. We've had it up all year with clear water and no trouble. We covered it in the winter and let the swg run just a little. See my signature below for more info
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

6. Back To Top    #6

thank you everyone. Still have not decided. Looking at in ground fiberglass pool snow

7. Back To Top    #7

Let us know what you decide!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter