High CYA and pool store still wants me to use pucks.

Apr 7, 2015
Southern Cali
My CYA is at 150. Shoul I be using liquid chlorine until my CYA levels get balanced? The pool store, obviously, told me I needed to use 3 - 3" chlorinating tablets, to make a buck off me I think. From my understanding, the tablets leave CYA in the water. Something I don't want right now. Should I use liquid chlorine for now?

Welcome to TFP Mendez :wave:

Probably yes, but first is that 150 cya number from the pool store? Also, yes the pucks add Cya to the pool when you use them.

My first suggestion is to get a proper kit, and test it yourself. Without a good number on that, and your current FC, it will be impossible to give you the correct numbers to use. We also need to know about your pool. Can you please add that data to your signature line? It helps us answer you much quicker, and with the best advice.

Welcome to TFP!

With CYA that high, I would replace water to get the CYA level down to something more reasonable. And, yes, switch to a chlorine source like liquid chlorine that is not constantly adding more CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.