Keeping pool warm in Michigan

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to pool ownership. We moved into a new house last summer with an inground pool. It is a figure 8 shaped pool with a shallow end and a deep end that goes to about 6 feet. We live in the Grand Rapids, MI area and the summers tend to be cooler here. The challenge is how to keep the pool warm here. It was difficult to keep it warm last summer. I am trying to prepare the best way to do it this summer. I have been looking into getting a solar cover and cutting it to fit. I will put a reel across the deep end and fold it in to reel it in (unless someone has another suggestion). We do have a brand new heater for the pool but would rather not run it a lot as the cost can be significant. I'm looking for some suggestions of what to do and what others do in these cooler climates to keep their pool as warm as possible. Any help I can get would be great!

Reactions: Pool Fool 2
Also... Welcome to TFP! :wave:

In addition to helping warm your pool, using a cover will help keep more of the heat in when you choose to run the heater, say before a party or early/late season. I hate running mine though. Soooo expensive.

Just beware, solar covers don't really attract that much heating for the water. You probably have natural gas in your area and it might be worth looking into a gas heater for the pool. It will definitely provide heat for you when you want it and to your liking.

I'm not sure I can agree with the above statement. We had a modest summer last year and there were pools that were 85-86 degrees with no heater using a solar cover. The weather in Seattle should be similar to grand rapids.

What he meant was, they do not ADD extra heat. All they really do is retain the heat that would be lost to evaporation and radiation at night.

In fact often you would add more heat to the water from the sun if you took the cover off.

What he meant was, they do not ADD extra heat. All they really do is retain the heat that would be lost to evaporation and radiation at night.

In fact often you would add more heat to the water from the sun if you took the cover off.

I seriously doubt that and uncovered pool would add more heat during the day as opposed to it being covered.

I seriously doubt that and uncovered pool would add more heat during the day as opposed to it being covered.

It is true because none of the suns energy would be reflected of the cover. This is only true if you do not have any wind and you do not have very low humidity levels.

A cover does not add heat it only retains the heat. Just like a blanket on your bed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.