New owner of an old pool

Hi all. Just found this site and learning a lot. I purchase this home and pool last October, so I haven’t had any experience with the equipment, yet. The weather is finally allowing me to become familiar with the equipment. Before I found this site, I purchased a new Hayward h400 heater (the old one was rusted out). Just installed it this weekend, haven’t tested it yet.
I found a $250 rebate from my electric company for an energy star pool pump. This got me to look at new pumps and my existing filter. Would it make any financial sense to replace the pump now or just wait until it stops working? Any recommendations on the least expensive energy star pump and horse power? I’m also wondering if my filter is too small for my pool.
I also have to fix a 1ft x 1/4in crack on the upper wall of the pool, replace a couple of the tiles along the edge, and fix a crack in the fiberglass slide.
Can’t wait until I open it up to see what else I’ll need. I have about 6 weeks until I get to use the pool (I hope).
Is converting to saltwater work the expense?

Welcome to TFP!

Even with a $250 rebate, it is unlikely to be worth replacing a working pump. Unless your electric rates are above $0.15/kWh I would leave the equipment alone until something goes wrong and it needs replacing anyway.

About half the people on the forum use a salt system (SWG) and love it. I have one and would never get a pool without one. But there are plenty of people who don't feel it is important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.