Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner of an old pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Oakland twp, MI

New owner of an old pool

Hi all. Just found this site and learning a lot. I purchase this home and pool last October, so I havenít had any experience with the equipment, yet. The weather is finally allowing me to become familiar with the equipment. Before I found this site, I purchased a new Hayward h400 heater (the old one was rusted out). Just installed it this weekend, havenít tested it yet.
    I found a $250 rebate from my electric company for an energy star pool pump. This got me to look at new pumps and my existing filter. Would it make any financial sense to replace the pump now or just wait until it stops working? Any recommendations on the least expensive energy star pump and horse power? Iím also wondering if my filter is too small for my pool.
    I also have to fix a 1ft x 1/4in crack on the upper wall of the pool, replace a couple of the tiles along the edge, and fix a crack in the fiberglass slide.
    Canít wait until I open it up to see what else Iíll need. I have about 6 weeks until I get to use the pool (I hope).
    Is converting to saltwater work the expense?
    Pool Stats: 23x40 oval/kidney (I think 36k gallons) | Filter: Pentiar Tagelus TA60 | Pump: Lesley Power Max w/ Centurion 1081 motor / Heater: Hayward H400 / tf-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New owner of an old pool

Welcome to TFP!

Even with a $250 rebate, it is unlikely to be worth replacing a working pump. Unless your electric rates are above $0.15/kWh I would leave the equipment alone until something goes wrong and it needs replacing anyway.

About half the people on the forum use a salt system (SWG) and love it. I have one and would never get a pool without one. But there are plenty of people who don't feel it is important.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School