Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine reading Taylor vs. Pool Store

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine reading Taylor vs. Pool Store

I just had my pool refinished (plaster) a week ago, and have been following the directions provided by the contractor. I've done some reading on this forum and have plans on what I'd like to do longer term, but immediately i'm just following the instructions. I purchased a Taylor test kit, and have been trying to compare the Pool Store values to mine (mostly to assure I"m reading things correctly). For the past two days, I've tested my Free Chlorine and have gotten 25ppm. I have a chlorinator (3"tabs) turned all the way up and have been running the pump 24/7 so this wasn't really a big surprise to me. I figured I'd get the reading confirmed at the pool store, and then crank the setting down as well as set my timer on the pool pump to around 10 hours a day, and then adjust the chlorinator as needed over the next few days.

The trouble is the pool store has given be a reading of 5ppm twice while my test provided the much higher value. I'm concerned that maybe I'm doing something wrong in my tests (though I believe I"ve followed the directions correctly).

Current readings: Pool Store Me
    FC- 5ppm 25ppm
    CC - 0ppm 1ppm
    PH 7.6 7.6
    TA - 130ppm 120ppm
    Cal H- 200ppm 200ppm
    CYA- 40ppm 60ppm

To test the chlorine, I used the 10ml line, counted the number of drops and multiplied by .5ppm to come up with 25ppm (50 drops).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is it common to have such a large swing between the Taylor test, and whatever the pool stores use?

Thanks all

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine reading Taylor vs. Pool Store

Welcome to TFP!

Most pool stores use a chlorine test that is limited to a maximum reading of 5 ppm. That appears to be what is going on here.

Always trust your own results over pool store results. Even a complete novice with a FAS-DPD chlorine test is more reliable than 90% of pool stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what JasonLion said. Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't trust the store tests
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Looks like you've gotten the answers to your Q's...So I'll just drop in to say "Welcome to the forum."

Looks like it's about time to D/C use of the pucks and get on the liquid bandwagon.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

That's awesome... Three answers in 4 minutes!!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Leatherlips
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks All! I've been reading quite a bit on this site and appreciate all the great info and advice. I'll work toward migrating to liquid chlorine in the coming weeks. My next task is replacing my filter/pump (on my own) so I'll likely be looking to the knowledgeable folks on this forum for direction there as well!
    Thanks again for your help and very quick responses!