Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Everyone using To Measure Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Is Everyone using To Measure Chlorine?

I have a standard measuring cup that I use to measure out my bleach prior to adding it to the pool? I'd like to get something larger (Say 64 oz or so) so I can do my measuring in one shot and don't have to measure/add three to four times.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks!
    Dan
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Is Everyone using To Measure Chlorine?

With a 21,000 gallon pool, you don't really need to be that accurate. My pool is about 21,000 gallons as well, and I just remember a gallon of 10% will raise my FC by about 5ppm, a gallon of 12% will raise it by about 6ppm and a 121 oz jug of 8.25% will raise it by 4ppm and eyeball it from there.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    I have a standard measuring cup that I use to measure out my bleach prior to adding it to the pool? I'd like to get something larger (Say 64 oz or so) so I can do my measuring in one shot and don't have to measure/add three to four times.

Thanks!
    Dan
    Check the "Paint" section at Home Depot or Lowes. They have measuring "cups" from about 32 Oz. to 2.5 gals. They are cheap to purchase and are plastic. Some have handles, some don't....

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    With a 21,000 gallon pool, you don't really need to be that accurate. My pool is about 21,000 gallons as well, and I just remember a gallon of 10% will raise my FC by about 5ppm, a gallon of 12% will raise it by about 6ppm and a 121 oz jug of 8.25% will raise it by 4ppm and eyeball it from there.
    How about a gallon of 6%? That's what I use...
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm kinda like John now that I know what additions do what. Restaraunt suppliers have a nice selection of graduated pitchers with clear markings for large amounts of liquid measure. I tried find those at various places when I wanted one, and they were hard to find until I looked there. I'd suggest that if you have one near by.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post

Thanks!
    Dan
    I went to Lowes and bought one of these and it works out nicely. It has oz. and mL marks on the side (oz. in 8oz. increments up to 64oz.)
    16'x35' Gunite/Marsite Kidney shaped 12500 Gal,Old (read Original) Sta-Rite TXC-75 75sqft Cartridge (Now a Single cartridge replacement, used to be two separate carts one 50sqft and one 25sqft stacked), Built with the house in 1989

7. Back To Top    #7

One gallon of 6% in a 20,000 gallon pool will raise FC by 3.

You can use PoolMath to figure out things like this using the effects of adding chemicals section down at the bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I have a couple different size graduated plastic containers. Walmart, hardware store, big box store ...
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

i just eyeball it with the big jug, since its usually like a 1/4 or 1/2 a bottle of chlorine. with muriatic acid though, i use a pyrex measuring glass and sometimes mix that in a washed out old chlorine jug mixed with water - especially if i need my wife to pour it - much safer. for me its pretty much 3oz of ma = .1 ph.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have one of these that I use for adding MA when needed.

But with bleach, I just estimate. Usually it's half a jug, 2/3 jug, whole jug, etc.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

I use a Rubbermade 2 quart drink bottle. With my 20k pool, 20 oz of 12.5% is good for 1 ppm. Even measuring lesser strengths is easy, 25 or 30 oz for 10% or 8.25%.

Easy to measure out the dose for the day. The lid enables me to carry it from the garage to the pool without spilling. And the sipping lid allows me to pour it in nice an easy.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Seconding the comments that you don't really need that much accuracy. You just kind of get an estimate from Poolmath and eyeball it, even the difference between e.g. 1/3 and 1/2 of a gallon of something won't make much difference unless you have a really small pool I guess. After a while you won't need to check pool math or anything, and you'll just say "meh, I'm guessing 1/2 a gallon" unless things get out of whack on you.

Of course, now that I've got a salt system and acid dispenser I'm finding myself micro-managing _it_ to try to achieve +/- .5FC levels and PH within a .1 PH range, so I guess being a bit anal about it is OK
    30k plaster pool
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo, Pentair CCP520, IC40 SWG, IntelliPH Acid system
    Easytouch 4 + ScreenLogic2

13. Back To Top    #13

14. Back To Top    #14

I just estimate to the nearest 1/4 bottle when needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I estimate based off of 16oz Solo cups.....working thus far
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    with muriatic acid though, i use a pyrex measuring glass and sometimes mix that in a washed out old chlorine jug mixed with water - especially if i need my wife to pour it - much safer. for me its pretty much 3oz of ma = .1 ph.
    Just tossing out a warning here.........No glass around the pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

I ended up buying this.

http://www.ruralking.com/axiom-produ...r-pm80128.html

This is only my third year with my pool so I want to try and be as accurate as possible until I get a little more familiar with my pools daily chlorine need.

18. Back To Top    #18

I 3rd that you really dont need to go so accurate as you might just be making it more tedious esp during a SLAM period. I learned my lesson last year in my first pool opening when I tried to use 32oz cups....now, i just use pool math and if it says dump 230oz, i just dump 2 gals XD
    Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Removed -> Hayward 1HP Super pump SP-1607-Z1-M

19. Back To Top    #19

I have a much smaller pool so I don't use that much at a time. I just use an old 2.5 cup measuring cup and my trusty bleach bucket. I measure in the kitchen. If I need more than 20 oz I measure and pour it into the bucket and fill the cup again.
    I am paranoid about getting bleach on my clothes after getting it on my shirt one time so I only carry it to the pool in the bucket. Even if it's 10 oz. I set the cup in the bucket and carry it out. If it spills it spills in the bucket and not on me!

And... I wear my trusty bleach shirt. LOL
    Paranoid. But I know the day I decide it's overkill and walk out there with my 15oz of bleach in a measuring cup *that* will be the day I trip, or sneeze or something!

Maybe this year I'll figure out something more streamlined...
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

20. Back To Top    #20

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Com...=measuring+cup

I usually add about 40oz a day. I have marked on there with a sharpie. 30oz = 2ppm, 40oz = 3ppm, 60oz = 5ppm and so on.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast