in-gound pool, drain cover screws broken off.

Apr 7, 2015
ham lake, mn
Moved post from original location (Forum Issues) to here so it will have more visibility and increase the likelihood of responses - BoDarville, TFP Moderator

This retirement home was purchase in 2001 and has an in-ground pool. The pool has been used minimally only by grandchildren. One day I noticed the cover to the main drain on the bottom was askew. I had someone dive down and look at it. Cover screws were broken off. I thought the screws were supposed to be SS and wouldn't rust or break off. Pool walls appear to be concrete. Pool is 7 ft deep. It has been maintained regularly. Initially water was treated with salt, then switched over to chlorine. Short of draining the pool or hiring a diver, is there an economical way to fix this problem?
What other information might you need?
Thank you in advance.
Nanagma :-(

Welcome to TFP!

Any kind of screw can break off, even stainless steel. Though I admit it is not a common occurrence.

It should be a fairly easy fix for someone with scuba equipment. Most pool services should be able to handle it. It is on the edge for a DIY fix, most people couldn't do it, but someone with mush better than average ability to hold their breath could probably handle it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.