Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: in-gound pool, drain cover screws broken off.

1. Back To Top    #1

ham lake, mn

in-gound pool, drain cover screws broken off.

Moved post from original location (Forum Issues) to here so it will have more visibility and increase the likelihood of responses - BoDarville, TFP Moderator

This retirement home was purchase in 2001 and has an in-ground pool. The pool has been used minimally only by grandchildren. One day I noticed the cover to the main drain on the bottom was askew. I had someone dive down and look at it. Cover screws were broken off. I thought the screws were supposed to be SS and wouldn't rust or break off. Pool walls appear to be concrete. Pool is 7 ft deep. It has been maintained regularly. Initially water was treated with salt, then switched over to chlorine. Short of draining the pool or hiring a diver, is there an economical way to fix this problem?
    What other information might you need?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: in-gound pool, drain cover screws broken off.

Welcome to TFP!

Any kind of screw can break off, even stainless steel. Though I admit it is not a common occurrence.

It should be a fairly easy fix for someone with scuba equipment. Most pool services should be able to handle it. It is on the edge for a DIY fix, most people couldn't do it, but someone with mush better than average ability to hold their breath could probably handle it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: in-gound pool, drain cover screws broken off.

Any chance the cover is broke and the screws are still good?
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.