Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding of stand alone hot tub

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding of stand alone hot tub

I thought "New Construction" was a more appropriate thread for my question than the "hot tub" thread, but feel free to move it if you feel otherwise.

I am buying a stand alone hot tub that will be put on a 4 or 5 inch concrete base with REBAR in the middle of the concrete. My PB is not involved with the hot tub - a different contractor is doing it. The hot tub will be around 10 feet from the Pool (which is under construction). Does the REBAR for the hot tub base need to be electrically "bonded?" I may have used the wrong term, so is there anything (from an electrical perspective) I need to make sure the contractor does to ensure our safety. If bonding is required, what exactly do need to have my contractor do -attach some type of wire to the REBAR?

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding of stand alone hot tub

Code varies a bit depending on what version of the code your local area is using. More recent versions of code require bonding the rebar, which is a good idea even if not required. Number 8 bare copper wire is attached to the rebar using a listed connection method, typically a specialized kind of clamp, and run through the concrete to somewhere that will be appropriate for eventual connection to the spa's bonding connection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,

So the bonding doesn't connect to the bonding of the Pool?
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

4. Back To Top    #4

Given that the equipment is separate and they are physically separated by more than 6 feet, the pool bonding and spa bonding can be connected or not. There is no way you could touch the pool water and the spa water at the same time. If they are built at the same time they will likely end up connected by the rebar in the deck. But if built at separate times they will likely end up not connected. Either connected or not is fine.

It would be different if they shared equipment or were closer together.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thanks Jason