"Intermittent" leak? Relation to water table??

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I won't bore you with all of the details but i have had an intermittent leak since the winter of 2013-14.

I lost a foot or so of water over the winter that year. My liner floated up. In the spring i filled it back up, the liner went back into place with the exception of a small wrinkle or two and everything was fine for a solid month.

At that point it started leaking and i lost a solid 1/2 to 1 inch per day. It leaked whether the pump was on or not. I let it go and it leaked down well below the skimmer and stopped. I couldn't find any sign of a leak at that level. I filled it back up and it didn't leak for a period of time.

So basically nothing makes sense to me. It really seems to be intermittent and perhaps something with the liner?

My last question is if i had a leak in the main drain line would a high water table stop it from losing water??

Any suggestions?? I dealt with this all last summer and added so much water i never got the water temp over 76!

If there is a leak anywhere below the pool water line (liner, plumbing, anywhere below that level) the pool depth with try to follow the water table depth, leaking when the water table is low and even filling up when the water table is high. The pool will stop leaking when it gets to the water table depth, or the leak depth, whichever is higher.

Because the liner floated we know that you have a high water table at least part of the year.

So it all makes sense to me, though nothing here tells us much of anything useful about where the leak actually is.

If there is a leak anywhere below the pool water line (liner, plumbing, anywhere below that level) the pool depth with try to follow the water table depth, leaking when the water table is low and even filling up when the water table is high. The pool will stop leaking when it gets to the water table depth, or the leak depth, whichever is higher.

Because the liner floated we know that you have a high water table at least part of the year.

So it all makes sense to me, though nothing here tells us much of anything useful about where the leak actually is.

So where would you start in looking for the leak??

A leak detection service might be a good idea. They should have a system that can narrow down the location with something resembling a radio direction finder.

I was afraid i would hear that.

One last question though. Two days ago i added about 8 inches of water which presumably would bring it way above the level of the water table since it has been sitting at the same level for several weeks. It has not dropped a bit in two days.

Would that point toward a hole in the liner that could get plugged as is shifts and then open up when it shifts again??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.