Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain Valve for Hayward Pro Grid Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain Valve for Hayward Pro Grid Filter

Hi,
    We moved into a house in December with a pool, so this is the first exposure I have to pool maintenance. We don't have the pool open yet, but one thing I noticed is the drain plug for the Hayward Pro Grid filter- this sits right next to the house, so when the filter is drained, all of the water will run out right next to the foundation. Maybe not much comes out, but it sure looks like the filter holds a lot of water....does anyone have or know of some type of drain valve that you can attach a hose to so you can drain the filter well away from the house? The current plug is 1.5" MIP with an o-ring. I can't find anything that looks like it would work. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain Valve for Hayward Pro Grid Filter

Welcome to TFP!

One common approach is to connect a short piece of pipe where the drain plug would screw in, then a valve, another short piece of pipe, and a barbed fitting to attach a roll up flexible hose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I saw plenty of threaded fittings, but none with an o-ring....I assume the pipe wouldn't have an o-ring. Will the threads seal sufficiently on thier own?

4. Back To Top    #4

You have to do it without an o-ring. You can get a seal even without the o-ring. Your best bet is to use a non-hardening teflon based thread sealant compound.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Without the o-ring, I should be able to find what I need at Lowe's....I want to get it in place before the pool is opened so next time it's darined it will route away from the house...Thanks for the help!! I'm sure I'll be on here often- there's a lot to learn...