Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward SP3400VSP + Solar setting?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward SP3400VSP + Solar setting?

Hi All

Hope someone can please offer some advice, last year I installed a Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump and its worked perfect though the winter but now I would like to turn on my solar heating, its been running on the default speed setting but now it appears my solar panels need a little more power to pump. Does anyone here have a VS pump and can let me know what speed settings they use with it? I started it up yesterday and it ran for a bit then gave me a prime error, so I turned off the solar and it worked just fine so I must need to make some changes. BTW not that I can think it matters but my pool is also a salt system.

Hope someone can help, thank you very much

Stu

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward SP3400VSP + Solar setting?

Welcome to TFP!

No one can tell you the speed to use for solar, every pool is different. It will definitely be towards the higher end of the range, perhaps 2/3rds of the way up is a good place to try to start with and then experiment until you get something that works well.

If you continue to get prime errors, you can try switching the prime setting on the pump from automatic to 3 minutes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We run our 3hp VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming/filtering and at 1950 rpm for solar. Our panels are cool to the touch and that is plenty of flow. We started at 1500 rpm, which seemed like enough for solar at first, but as the filter got dirty it seemed a little light and the panels were still warm so we upped the speed. Pump still only draws 550 watts at 1950 rpm. Which is sweet and cheap to operate.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

This solar question comes up all the time. First, change over in configuration from auto prime to 3 minute prime. On all solar panels is a relief valve that opens when the pump shuts off, draining water from the panels. This is a good thing. If you get too low in speed the valve will stay open, When the pressure in the system is ok the valve will stay closed. First of all, ask the solar company what the recommended gpm per panel is and do the math to find out the suggested gpm. From this we can make some assumptions (hate that word but we need a starting point). I always say prime the panels than drop down in GPM as heat transfer is the best at the right gpm.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    I always say prime the panels than drop down in GPM as heat transfer is the best at the right gpm.
    Actually, heat transfer to the pool increases as the GPM increases. But at some point the diminishing added heat gain is not worth the added electrical cost to run at higher speeds + stress (pressure) on the panels.

A good rule of thumb is 1 GPM per 10 sqft of panels. The panels should feel cool to the touch if you have enough water flow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for all the replies and help, I put it on full speed and it seems to be pushing it around the solar just fine but I will still experiment with the speed settings. Can someone tell me how long please I need to run the VS pump for each day?, my pool size is nearly 15k gallons. Thank you

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you read this? Determine Pump Run Time

But if you are trying to add heat, you need to run for as long as the sun is shining on the solar panels.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats great, thank you so much for the info, I now have my pump setup perfectly, pools starting to heat nicely, no more prime errors and running from 10am to 7pm which is roughly about the sun up/down here. Thanks again for all the help.

9. Back To Top    #9

Woohoo! Hurry up summer!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach