wsamon

Mar 16, 2015
Largo, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone have any additional information on this model or the similar sounding Aquatron Cobia XL? I understand that these seem like gimmicky "solutions without problems," but they seem like they may be a decent fit for my scenario. I recently bought a house with a pool. I have no automatic cleaners installed and a regular chlorine system. Due to the nature of my job - sometimes very long hours and/or travel - and quantity of debris that gets blown into the pool, I'm in need of an automatic cleaner to keep it in decent shape. I'm also interested in going the salt water route to both reduce chemical usage and to make it easier on my sensitive eyes when I get water in them. However, the installation of a conventional SWG system is out of my current price range. At $700 it seems like these robots could be a nice stop-gap system for a couple years until I can afford to do everything I want. However, if they neither vacuum well nor do a reasonable job of maintaining proper chlorine and salt levels then it's simply money down the drain.

Re: Harmony Robotic pool cleaner and chlorine generator

I don't, but it would be better if you start a new thread on the same topic. You're likely to get a fresh set of answers to better help you.

EDIT: I went ahead and started a new topic for you. :goodjob:

Re: Harmony Robotic pool cleaner and chlorine generator

I've met the people a number of times that developed this and beta tested the original Cobia model. These are smart guys and hold patents on a number of pool cleaner features. The cobia works and I'm sure the harmony works too. The main problem is the salt cells are small and don't last all that long. Finding replacements may be tough too. The all in one aspect is nice for sure as a way to get a salt generator however when I checked with them, you might get a year or two out of the cell. Compare that to a stand alone chlorine generator that you will probably get 3 or more years out of the cell and clearly its not the most cost effective. The harmony is clearly a rapids/breeze with the chlorinator built in so reviews of those will tell you how well it will vaccumn. Frankly from reading the reviews it appears the tried and true cleaners with rollers work better. I did like the fact that the harmony will walk around the pool every so often and chlorinate the pool at different sections. If you need a robot and a chlorinator, it might not be a bad deal, even if the chlorinator goes out, you still have a robot and when I checked last year, there were places selling them pretty cheap.

If you can get it for 700, then I would go for it as its practically like getting the chlorinator for free. However, it depends on the size of your pool, much larger than 12000 gallons and its really not going to do the job.

I would stay away from anything that combines two unrelated functions. No matter how good it is to start out, it isn't going to be as good as buying the two parts separately, and when one half of it breaks you often lose the other half as well, increasing your service/replacement costs.

The harmony is clearly a rapids/breeze with the chlorinator built in so reviews of those will tell you how well it will vaccumn...

If you can get it for 700, then I would go for it as its practically like getting the chlorinator for free. However, it depends on the size of your pool, much larger than 12000 gallons and its really not going to do the job.

Thank you for the information. I'll look up those reviews! By my very rough calculations (difficult due to an irregular kidney shape and depth that changes from about 3 ft to 7 ft), it's about 12.5 - 15k gallons with the spa included (they share water).

I would stay away from anything that combines two unrelated functions. No matter how good it is to start out, it isn't going to be as good as buying the two parts separately, and when one half of it breaks you often lose the other half as well, increasing your service/replacement costs.

I agree 100%, except for when you can't afford to do both separately, which is currently my case. A quality robot costs $700 - 1200, and a SWG costs what, $2000 to install? If I can get by for a year or two on $700 total until I save up enough to purchase them separately, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. However, purchasing something that is ineffective on all accounts would be a complete waste of $700.

Thank you for the information. I'll look up those reviews! By my very rough calculations (difficult due to an irregular kidney shape and depth that changes from about 3 ft to 7 ft), it's about 12.5 - 15k gallons with the spa included (they share water).

I agree 100%, except for when you can't afford to do both separately, which is currently my case. A quality robot costs $700 - 1200, and a SWG costs what, $2000 to install? If I can get by for a year or two on $700 total until I save up enough to purchase them separately, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. However, purchasing something that is ineffective on all accounts would be a complete waste of $700.

I can guarantee you it will make chlorine. The guy guy that made the cobia left and started is own company that makes the harmony. It will just likely be burning the cell out every year or so. SWG cost depends on what you can do. You can get one for 700 dollars or so. Install really isn't very complicated. Cut pipe, install cell and wire into timer.

I can guarantee you it will make chlorine. The guy guy that made the cobia left and started is own company that makes the harmony. It will just likely be burning the cell out every year or so. SWG cost depends on what you can do. You can get one for 700 dollars or so. Install really isn't very complicated. Cut pipe, install cell and wire into timer.

I could buy the equipment and cut the pipe. Beyond that, I don't think I could do much myself. I just bought the house in Dec and this is my first time owning a property. As such, my handy-man skills and tool set are still developing. I'm not sure I should be running electrical wire from a breaker at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I think it's the Cobia XL I can get for $700. I think the Harmony is a little more.

I could buy the equipment and cut the pipe. Beyond that, I don't think I could do much myself. I just bought the house in Dec and this is my first time owning a property. As such, my handy-man skills and tool set are still developing. I'm not sure I should be running electrical wire from a breaker at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I think it's the Cobia XL I can get for $700. I think the Harmony is a little more.

Cobia XL should be a decent unit, they sold for a lot more. The problem with that unit may be getting the replacement salt cell when you need it. Have you checked on how much and if you can get the salt cell? And who warranties it and what the warranty is?

EDIT: about wiring into the breaker, you wouldn't be doing that, assuming you have the standard mechanical timer that pretty much everyone has, you would just wire it to that. Same as the pool motor is wired.

One thing that has me interested about these cleaners, at least the Harmony, is that they're apparently designed to be kept in the pool 24/7 or close to it. The videos and website specifically mention that it should be run for about 10 hours / day, where it will operate in 60 minute cycles of cleaning for 10 minutes and chlorinating for 50. If explicitly intended to be run for that long every day, I don't see how they would complain if you just left it in the water and only took it out to clean the bin / filter. My conversations so far with a representative from Maytronics / Dolphin suggests that their robots are not intended to be left in the water any longer than is necessary to perform the 3-hour cleaning cycle. This is a win on convenience to the Harmony IMO. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound or look like it cleans as well as the Dolphin and with the cells costing about $250, that would add up quickly if they have to be replaced every year.

If the electrical really is just splicing a couple wires together then I may look into the DIY SWG route, though most systems I've seen are still over $1000 just to buy them and I'd still need a cleaner.

One thing that has me interested about these cleaners, at least the Harmony, is that they're apparently designed to be kept in the pool 24/7 or close to it. The videos and website specifically mention that it should be run for about 10 hours / day, where it will operate in 60 minute cycles of cleaning for 10 minutes and chlorinating for 50. If explicitly intended to be run for that long every day, I don't see how they would complain if you just left it in the water and only took it out to clean the bin / filter. My conversations so far with a representative from Maytronics / Dolphin suggests that their robots are not intended to be left in the water any longer than is necessary to perform the 3-hour cleaning cycle. This is a win on convenience to the Harmony IMO. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound or look like it cleans as well as the Dolphin and with the cells costing about $250, that would add up quickly if they have to be replaced every year.

If the electrical really is just splicing a couple wires together then I may look into the DIY SWG route, though most systems I've seen are still over $1000 just to buy them and I'd still need a cleaner.

I'm telling you, in Florida, leaving it in your pool is the best thing you can do for the robot, if you pull that thing out in the hot sun, the seals will get ruined, I was literally having my pool cleaner repaired every 3 months until I just left it in the water. You are definately right that a robot and SWG will cost more than the combined unit, no question there. Personally for a robot, I would buy the Dolphin Z5 as its a good price and good warranty and frankly will work better than the cheaper cleaners. Salt generator will cost 800-900 depending on which one you get. I would probably go with Circupool or something like that or Hayward as the cells appear to be very cheap online.

I thought you were considering the cobia unit and not the harmony?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was considering both :) I know very little about the difference between the 2, other than the Cobia is an older model from a different company. I had seen that for sale on Groupon for $700, but it ended. I'm not sure if it will be available again or not. I've also seen the Harmony online for $850 or so. Either one seems like a good deal if it works well. I do like the Dolphin 3 year warranty though, and it seems to be among the best cleaners out there. I may just go with that and look into converting to a salt water pool later once I get some of my bigger life expenses out of the way.

I was considering both :) I know very little about the difference between the 2, other than the Cobia is an older model from a different company. I had seen that for sale on Groupon for $700, but it ended. I'm not sure if it will be available again or not. I've also seen the Harmony online for $850 or so. Either one seems like a good deal if it works well. I do like the Dolphin 3 year warranty though, and it seems to be among the best cleaners out there. I may just go with that and look into converting to a salt water pool later once I get some of my bigger life expenses out of the way.

I doubt you would see the cobia for that price again as I believe they are selling old stock. Not really different company, the people doing the harmony created the Cobia and then left aquatron. I believe it was they sold the company. The Harmony is clearly the breeze/rapids 4wd with a salt generator added.

- - - Updated - - -

honestly that's what I would do. Get the dolphin pool cleaner, Definately get one with dual motors, so so much better like the Z5 or similar and then the salt system. The advantage of the cobia/harmony is you don't have to run your pump. But the inline units will last probably 3 years so the cost of the cell is much lower when you factor in the time you get out of it. And if you get a big enough unit, you can still run your pump not all that long.

Well I got a screaming deal this season on a very lightly used Harmony through a friend who couldn't return it. Was pondering converting my pool to salt with my crazy work hours and this pushed me over the edge. If it works well hopefully it'll buy me a few years to upgrade to a multi-speed pump and plumb in a quality salt cell. I'll let the community know what I think of it as I go.

2.ooohhh I'm definitely interested in hearing about how well the Harmony works, so keep us updated! From looking at the numbers, it sounds like a viable solution, even if the salt cells die after a year or so as long as they remain available for around $250.

Last edited:
Well I got a screaming deal this season on a very lightly used Harmony through a friend who couldn't return it. Was pondering converting my pool to salt with my crazy work hours and this pushed me over the edge. If it works well hopefully it'll buy me a few years to upgrade to a multi-speed pump and plumb in a quality salt cell. I'll let the community know what I think of it as I go.

Its worth a try, but thats a big pool for a harmony, you likely will need to run it almost 24 hours a day in chlorination mode and even then it might not keep up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.