Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey guys - we just signed for a new pool - and we are designing the decking so that we can put a propane firepit in later (rounded decking near the sap to fit the pit and seating around it. (Have to cut costs somewhere). We do not have gas out here in the country - so propane is our only option for spa heat and firepit.

With that being said - has anyone done their own? I know the PB mentioned that they have to order 10% more mossrock and flagstone than they need for the pool - so I am hoping to snag all the leftovers so my firepit will be made out of the exact same materials. They are going to allow us to have it plumbed when they pour the decking - so it should be ready to go. I think the quote for them to build it was $1400. Just doing a quick search - looks like I can buy all the materials (other than the stone) for about $400. Is it $1000 worth of work? I don't want to get in over my head . . .

Depends on how you want it to look and what experience level you have at making something like that.

Pretty cheap to stack some cinder blocks around a pit to sit on :mrgreen:

When I was doing the cost-benefit analysis for my fire pit, I quickly realized that my PB could give me a turnkey fire pit for less cost than I would be able to run the gas line later. In my case, I saved a lot of money since they were able to run all the fire pit gas lines in the same trenches that they were using for the gas line to my pool heater.

As long as you have a fairly straight-forward way of running your propane line, I don't think it should be anywhere near $1000 worth of work.

Propane is not like natural gas, use extreme care in selecting the proper materials to use....also btw if you're using a propane fueled pool heater, demand your pool builder give you the license info of the plumber doing it. Do not let his "guys" do the job. We were just out on an insurance claim the other day were it was denied because the pb did not use a licensed plumber.

Thanks guys! My PB absolutely uses only licensed (and bonded) workers - he went through the entire spill about that is why his price is higher than most PB in my area. However - he is going to allow me to have the Propane people (who install the tank and run the lines at the time of install) - run the lines before they pour the decking. He said I will have a 3 day window we can do it. So that the propane will be plumbed and ready to go for the future firepit. He also said, that they could "sleeve" it if we weren't ready to run the line at the time of the pour. Now from what I read- I think that means they run like a pvc pipe to the area so that the propane line can be slid under the decking later - but I haven't asked him specifically.

We don't have the option of gas out here - we are way out in the woods :) and electric didn't seem like a good option after talking with friends who heat their spa with electricity. Seems like it takes forever to get it warm.

The inserts for the firepit - don't seem too complicated - I have no idea how we would do the stone work around it - but google is my friend. Ugh. I do wish I could just say do it all - I am made of money! My husband already thinks I said that :) I am 15K over budget right now . . . and he won't let me go any further . . . maybe I could find something to cut in my extras and have the firepit complete instead . . .

We did - I want the ability to heat my hot tub quickly and the heat pump just doesn't do it as fast. We won't be using the heater for the pool - only the hot tub and I loved the idea that I can turn it on and get in quicker!

In the state of Texas the lines from the tank can only be run by a licensed plumber...propane company can do no more than set the tank and make the single connection to the lines the plumber installed. I own and run a plumbing company that covers all of Montgomery county...I'm extremely up to date on plumbing code and laws. Other than that we've hooked up a ton of fire pits there are some really cool things you can fill them up with....my fav is crushed glass!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys! My PB absolutely uses only licensed (and bonded) workers - he went through the entire spill about that is why his price is higher than most PB . . .

I bet you if you ask for their license info he stutters...lol

I'm in the process of building one, it has a aluminum base enclosure that will be powder coated. I poured a concrete ring for the top, 48" od x 24" id, and polished it, looks pretty good but I'm doing another to get it better ( I hope). The base covers a 5# propane bottle. We made our own burner from sheet stainless. I'm waiting on some "glow glass" that I will pour into the next top, hopefully it will be complete in about a month. I may use the 1st top to make a wood burner somewhere else on the property. I really want a solid concrete natural gas with a polished top, that's in my plans.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Rebel - do YOU do Firepits? Can I get a quote from you? My PB actually gave me a list of all the people he uses and their info - I wonder if I should look it all up to verify everything. Ugh. So much work. I just wish people would be honest

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Restonledo - I will visit this site when I finish up work tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

Bobby - that sounds really complicated. I was thinking of just buying a kit - and attaching it to the gas line that is going to be already plumbed - and just building the facade around it with the flagstone and mossrock. (Haven't really looked into that part yet). I was thinking glass fire stones - they are so cool looking - and the darker colors cover the soot from the propane.

Hey Rebel - my PB lists the who he uses and gives their License# - he uses a Master Plumber with the license #18230. Do you think when they get here to do the work I should verify that is who is here? Not sure what I should do to verify?

Bobby - that sounds really complicated. I was thinking of just buying a kit - and attaching it to the gas line that is going to be already plumbed - and just building the facade around it with the flagstone and mossrock. (Haven't really looked into that part yet). I was thinking glass fire stones - they are so cool looking - and the darker colors cover the soot from the propane.

It is, I love to go overboard, I started this in 10-2013, and I'm just getting near completion. I got hooked on the polished concrete with glass in it, looks really good. It will have the glass covering the burner also.

We only do the gas work....run the lines, valves, ss rings etc.
Whatever you do make sure you have a great drain and cover. Two of the most over looked items. I can tell you this though for the install and kit we charge less then just that kit cost.

Oh wow! Ok. Cool. Maybe it's the stonework that is so pricey?
I didn't real I needed a cover. I was thinking that the pan had drain holes so I cou keep it uncovered. Good to know! TY!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.