Mysterious skimmer behavior...

Aug 19, 2014
Shallotte, NC
... or, at least, a mystery to me.

OK, new liner professionally installed, along with a new skimmer. The skimmer has two ports. Port #1 is connected to the suction side of the pump, as expected. However, Port #2 is attached to a line that just forms a "L" and re-enters the pool about a foot or so below the skimmer. This is described as an "equalizer line." I can't see that it does anything, except make it impossible to effectively use a vacuum plate with the vacuum.

Is there a diverter plate in the bottom of the skimmer, or do you just see the two holes?
If there's no diverter plate you need one.
The "equalizer line" is there so if the water level gets low it'll pull water from it and not from the mouth of the skimmer.

It prevents burning up the pump if your water line drops below the skimmer level ... IF you have the float diverter below the skimmer basket.

My 2 pools have had the 2nd hole plumbed to the floor drain instead of an equalizer line ... also not ideal.

Is there a diverter plate in the bottom of the skimmer, or do you just see the two holes?
If there's no diverter plate you need one.
The "equalizer line" is there so if the water level gets low it'll pull water from it and not from the mouth of the skimmer.

I just see two holes. Is the diverter plate a manual slide?

- - - Updated - - -

It prevents burning up the pump if your water line drops below the skimmer level ... IF you have the float diverter below the skimmer basket.

My 2 pools have had the 2nd hole plumbed to the floor drain instead of an equalizer line ... also not ideal.

If the water line drops below the skimmer, all that will happen is that the water will drop in the equalizer line, too. They don't connect to each other, so when the water falls below the suction pipe there is nothing to cause suction in the equalizer line.... unless I am REALLY missing something....

The equalizer line will still draw water when the skimmer basket is full of leaves, which is what I think of as it's primary purpose. Diverter plate is still a good idea, but the equalizer line is not useless without it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To vacuum, temporarily plug the equilizer line at the bottom of the skimmer or slid a small round plate partially over the equilizer hole on the pool wall. The vacuum will hold the plate in place and you can adjust the suction by how much you cover the hole.

Be careful to slide the plate into place so that the suction does not slam it down too hard. Use something hard smooth and plastic that won't break or get sucked in.

I wouldn't put the vacuum hose directly into the suction line. That could clog the line.

Also note that the equilizer hole in the wall has to have a VGB compliant suction cover for safety.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.