Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Switch, sanity check

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Switch, sanity check

So I received my Circupool SI 30+ SWG and am starting to plan how I want to install it. I called a local pool installer to ask how much they might charge to help me mount it, change over to PVC plumbing (currently hoses) and wire it in with a timer (not really an electrician....although it seems straightforward). They got back to me and said that I should return my SWG because it will rust out my pool walls and they would never recommend an SWG system for an above ground pool. Based on what I've read on this site, seems like plenty of people have above ground pools with SWG, so is this something I should really be worried about? I have noticed small rust spots on the outside where water splashes, but I can contain those I think.

Then I stumbled upon a link about converting from Permasalt and how I need to get rid of any residual copper in the water. I'm going to test copper levels when I open it and if they are high, my only option is to drain it down and refill right? Can I add something like Proteam Metal Magic to help with this?

Thanks in advance.
    19K gal 27' round AG; SwimPro by Hayward High Rate Sand filter, model SW256T; Hayward Power-Flo Pump, 2 HP, model EP1550LX; Circupool Si +30 SWG; K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit from Taylor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Switch, sanity check

The risk isn't zero, but it is very close. The main risk is that slow liner leaks that are not repaired can leave salt water sitting against the walls for months. In that situation even plain water is a problem, and salt water is a bit worse. Leaks are not common, and most of them are easily noticed and repaired, so this is far from common.

If you have copper in the water above 0.3 you will either need to lower it or use sequestrant. Sequestrant bonds to the copper and prevents it from forming stains, but it doesn't remove the copper and it breaks down slowly, and thus more needs to be added regularly, which can get expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG Switch, sanity check

Thanks Jason.
    19K gal 27' round AG; SwimPro by Hayward High Rate Sand filter, model SW256T; Hayward Power-Flo Pump, 2 HP, model EP1550LX; Circupool Si +30 SWG; K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit from Taylor