Automation?

Feb 18, 2015
Brimfield, IL
Bought home in SWFL to use as a vacation home rental. Replaced all equipment with AquaCal SQ110, Hayward VS pump and a Ecofilter with Zeolight. Tying to find a simple solution to turn on and off the heater as well as turning up and down temperature. I need to be able to lock out the heater when renters are there and choose not to heat the pool. Is the IAqualink a DIY type system, and if so, what are the parts I need to complete this process.

If you are handy, any automation system is a DIY project. As for locking out the heater, do you have a property management company taking care of the property while you are not in FL?

I am using the Wink hub with schlage locks, chamberlain garage door openers. That would be awesome, but a little above my head. Would I be able to lock out keypad on heater, turn temps up and down as well as heater on and off. Along with this, in order to heat, I have to turn p the pump speeds as well. If this is possible, what do I need for that??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or the omni-logic. Although I have never seen anything in the Hayward automation that allows you to lock anything down. I guess you could put a lock on the cabinet with a key hidden somewhere for emergency access. Although that may violate some codes due to lack of access to the breakers.

I am using the Wink hub with schlage locks, chamberlain garage door openers. That would be awesome, but a little above my head. Would I be able to lock out keypad on heater, turn temps up and down as well as heater on and off. Along with this, in order to heat, I have to turn p the pump speeds as well. If this is possible, what do I need for that??

ON an aquacal heat pump you can lock out the control panel. The procedure for that is in the control panel. I don't use wink, but I do use smarththings, and It wouldnt be that hard to wire a z wave relay such as the linear http://www.centralvacuumstores.com/...Ad480oPB_E621Sdp4lFjLj-fXqFY4J4cwXhoC-rXw_wcB and break the external control circuit on the heatr pump. Changing speeds on the pump however would require a specialized pool controller.

Let me see if I am understanding the way these systems work. I keep hearing about a breaker box. I do not care if the heater or pump lose there 220V or not. I am looking to control the low voltage side (Controls). I know I can use the Wink hub and a switch with a relay to shut 220V down on heater, but that does not give me any control.

Here is the everyday life of the pool. Home is rented for 30-52 weeks a year. Not everyone wants to pay for the pool to be heated. The pool heating is an extra charge for the week. (This is the way 99% of all rentals are in SWFL. This way the advertised rental price starts a little lower.)

The pump will run on a 1000 RPM (81 watts) for 24/7 for filtering. When someone rents the home and chooses the pool heating option, I want to turn the controls to pool heat (from illinois). This will in turn have a call for heat on a preset temperature (most likely) and kick the pump to 1900 RPM (45 gallon per min for optiminum efficiency on the heat pump). When call is satisfied,pump will then kick down to lower speed.

If tenant requires a few more degrees than preset, I can either turn it up remotely and/or tenant can turn up the temp on the onboard panel. If that is an option, I must be able to program a high limit to the heater so the 17K gallon pool does not become a spa for the week/month and break the bank! lol

Maybe this sheds a different light on the goal??

And thank you racket for the response. The z-wave option (if i am understanding this) will allow me to have the heater and/or pump to be strictly on or off. With that being said, I would have to run the pump at a 1900RPM speed the whole time to be able to hit the flow switch in the heater when I turn it on.

Here is my goal. At 1900RPM I am running close to 400 watts. At 1000 RPM i am running 81 watts. That equates to $866 dollars per year at 1900RPM and $175 per year at 1000RPM. With the savings of approx. $700 per year, it will not take long to pay off a control system. As well as having control of the heat pump. That is even a larger savings by far.

But I believe as stated in post above, I need the control of all functions in the pump and heater.

Several of the high end automation systems have Internet control options that give you control of just about everything mentioned. Someone familiar with the system could subvert it, but you would know that had happened the next time you check the system.

Agreed, I just need to know which one is compatible. I called Zodiac and according to them, there system will not run the heater or pump. Looking for a recommendation of which system, and all the pieces needed to perform said job. Any recommendations?

You have a Hayward VS pump ... the easiest option is to then go with a Hayward Automation system to interface with the pump. They will also control just about any heater too. I am sure the Omnilogic will do what you want. Not sure if the ProLogic + AquaConnect to get online would be cheaper or not.

The EcoStar pump does allow some control from a third party automation system, but you get way more flexibility if you have a Hayward brand automation system. Any automation system should be able to control any heater.

The Hayward system with good Internet support is OmniLogic. It is brand new, so there might be some new product kinks to work out, but early reports have been very very positive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.