Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Automation?

Bought home in SWFL to use as a vacation home rental. Replaced all equipment with AquaCal SQ110, Hayward VS pump and a Ecofilter with Zeolight. Tying to find a simple solution to turn on and off the heater as well as turning up and down temperature. I need to be able to lock out the heater when renters are there and choose not to heat the pool. Is the IAqualink a DIY type system, and if so, what are the parts I need to complete this process.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Automation?

If you are handy, any automation system is a DIY project. As for locking out the heater, do you have a property management company taking care of the property while you are not in FL?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

No we do not. We are doing the management ourselves. I have automated the locks, garage doors and everything inside. We have people in place for maintaince. We found that all the management companies do not do anything for you.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum FM Pool

Can you please add your pools info into your signature as outlined here - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe I have my signature info added now.

Can anyone give me the pieces and parts needed for a control system to mainly control a Aquacal heater and a Hayward VS pump from afar?
    17K Gallons, Gunite & plaster, Hayward Ecostar VS, AquaCal SQ110, Ecofilter E5 (Zeolite), Pentair in line chlorinator, ProLogic P4 automation. Bought home in 2015. Very large caged in pool in Fort Myers.

6. Back To Top    #6

Which Hayward pump do you have? That affects the answer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

SP3400VSP Ecostar VS
    17K Gallons, Gunite & plaster, Hayward Ecostar VS, AquaCal SQ110, Ecofilter E5 (Zeolite), Pentair in line chlorinator, ProLogic P4 automation. Bought home in 2015. Very large caged in pool in Fort Myers.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

What are you using to automate the house and locks? z wave? You could easily wire a z wave relay to control the heat pump, then link it into your hub.,
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

9. Back To Top    #9

I am using the Wink hub with schlage locks, chamberlain garage door openers. That would be awesome, but a little above my head. Would I be able to lock out keypad on heater, turn temps up and down as well as heater on and off. Along with this, in order to heat, I have to turn p the pump speeds as well. If this is possible, what do I need for that??

10. Back To Top    #10

You're asking a lot of any automation system if you want to adjust heater temps, set pump speeds and set valves, etc. remotely.

Since you have a Hayward VS pump the ProLogic system might work for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Or the omni-logic. Although I have never seen anything in the Hayward automation that allows you to lock anything down. I guess you could put a lock on the cabinet with a key hidden somewhere for emergency access. Although that may violate some codes due to lack of access to the breakers.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by FM Pool View Post
    I am using the Wink hub with schlage locks, chamberlain garage door openers. That would be awesome, but a little above my head. Would I be able to lock out keypad on heater, turn temps up and down as well as heater on and off. Along with this, in order to heat, I have to turn p the pump speeds as well. If this is possible, what do I need for that??
    ON an aquacal heat pump you can lock out the control panel. The procedure for that is in the control panel. I don't use wink, but I do use smarththings, and It wouldnt be that hard to wire a z wave relay such as the linear http://www.centralvacuumstores.com//...cwXhoC-rXw_wcB and break the external control circuit on the heatr pump. Changing speeds on the pump however would require a specialized pool controller.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Let me see if I am understanding the way these systems work. I keep hearing about a breaker box. I do not care if the heater or pump lose there 220V or not. I am looking to control the low voltage side (Controls). I know I can use the Wink hub and a switch with a relay to shut 220V down on heater, but that does not give me any control.

Here is the everyday life of the pool. Home is rented for 30-52 weeks a year. Not everyone wants to pay for the pool to be heated. The pool heating is an extra charge for the week. (This is the way 99% of all rentals are in SWFL. This way the advertised rental price starts a little lower.)

The pump will run on a 1000 RPM (81 watts) for 24/7 for filtering. When someone rents the home and chooses the pool heating option, I want to turn the controls to pool heat (from illinois). This will in turn have a call for heat on a preset temperature (most likely) and kick the pump to 1900 RPM (45 gallon per min for optiminum efficiency on the heat pump). When call is satisfied,pump will then kick down to lower speed.

If tenant requires a few more degrees than preset, I can either turn it up remotely and/or tenant can turn up the temp on the onboard panel. If that is an option, I must be able to program a high limit to the heater so the 17K gallon pool does not become a spa for the week/month and break the bank! lol

Maybe this sheds a different light on the goal??

14. Back To Top    #14

And thank you racket for the response. The z-wave option (if i am understanding this) will allow me to have the heater and/or pump to be strictly on or off. With that being said, I would have to run the pump at a 1900RPM speed the whole time to be able to hit the flow switch in the heater when I turn it on.

Here is my goal. At 1900RPM I am running close to 400 watts. At 1000 RPM i am running 81 watts. That equates to $866 dollars per year at 1900RPM and $175 per year at 1000RPM. With the savings of approx. $700 per year, it will not take long to pay off a control system. As well as having control of the heat pump. That is even a larger savings by far.

But I believe as stated in post above, I need the control of all functions in the pump and heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

Several of the high end automation systems have Internet control options that give you control of just about everything mentioned. Someone familiar with the system could subvert it, but you would know that had happened the next time you check the system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Agreed, I just need to know which one is compatible. I called Zodiac and according to them, there system will not run the heater or pump. Looking for a recommendation of which system, and all the pieces needed to perform said job. Any recommendations?

17. Back To Top    #17

You have a Hayward VS pump ... the easiest option is to then go with a Hayward Automation system to interface with the pump. They will also control just about any heater too. I am sure the Omnilogic will do what you want. Not sure if the ProLogic + AquaConnect to get online would be cheaper or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

The EcoStar pump does allow some control from a third party automation system, but you get way more flexibility if you have a Hayward brand automation system. Any automation system should be able to control any heater.

The Hayward system with good Internet support is OmniLogic. It is brand new, so there might be some new product kinks to work out, but early reports have been very very positive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

I did in the last hour receive an e-mail from tech support that i can use a ProLogic PS-4 or the P-4. As I did the research on this product there is a monthly service fee to contend with. Is there other options?

20. Back To Top    #20

The OmniLogic. Not sure if there is a monthly fee though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast