Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed pump schedule?

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed pump schedule?

I recently bought a variable speed pump(Hayward MaxFlo VS) took us days to install working 8 hours a day, water kept leaking somewhere . So we get it all running and we prime it and such and such, 3,000RPM seemed quite powerful but also good. Im looking for a good schedule to run it at.

If it matters we have a cartidge filter and no SWG(Id like one but the cost is insane)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed pump schedule?

Roughly four hours a day, ideally split into a couple of different segments at different times of day.

The speed should be set to the lowest speed where the skimmers work well and if you have a heater, the heater is happy with, but not slower than 1000 RPM.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I run mine for 2 hours at 2850 rpm, and six hours at 1700 rpm. I am in Arizona though.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

The only reason to run at speeds like 2850 rpm is if you have something that requires that speed, like a pump powered pool cleaner. Otherwise it is just a waste of electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

We run it at 2,400 rpm for 4 hours and 1,400 for 6 hours. I feel like 1,400 is to slow, water is barely moving and the bugs that fall in the pool dont go down into the skimer, think i will increase to 2,600rpm and 1,800rpm

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there some reason for the period of higher speed run time? Unless you have something that specifically requires the higher speed it is just a waste of electricity and you should just run at the lower speed for the entire time.

It does take a little while to zero in on what the ideal speed that keeps everything working well actually is.

7. Back To Top    #7

i have a nature 2 express but thats about it. Im just worried stuff is not getting into the skimmer and that it seems to be running like veeeerrrrrry slow it may be ok its just i used to have a single speed 2,000 rpm

8. Back To Top    #8

The goal is to pick one speed that works for everything. There are some advantages to approaching that speed from above and below at the same time, but in the end you want a single speed that is as low as possible and still gets you good skimming.