Why is PB so against the SWG?

I will chime in, for what it's worth. I have a salt water pool and love it. Same as Carl, I have never had a pool that was not salt, but I don't think I will ever want anything different. It works extremely well and is very efficient. The biggest positive for me is how low maintenance it is. You will still have to perform your usual chemical tests, but it is nice to be able to leave the pool for extended periods of time and not worry about coming home to a green monster. :cool:

I will chime in as well because I have the almost identical setup right down to the Pentair Equipment (also 3x Pentair Magic Stream Laminar jets not listed below) and Viking Pool as you are putting in. The only difference is that I have an SWG and love it. water is much softer feeling, and I do nothing....nothing except test it and throw my stupid robot in once and a while. The fiberglass is so easy to maintain and clean. The screen logic system with the swg is awesome, I can log on my computer from anywhere and change my chlorine output. Look at my list of equipment in my signature and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Oh and get the panel that is equipped for the SWG, then all you have to do is just plug it in if you add it later which you can do yourself in a few minutes vs paying him or an electrician to come do it.

We were originally going to use Blue Stone, but decided to go with Stamped Concrete for the ease of maintenance, durability, installation, and in our area it was about half the cost of the natural stone. We actually used a wood plank stamp, and it turned out amazing. Our installer blew up a huge picture of our pool to hang in his show room. I will try to figure out how to post a picture for you.

Picture from last summer just after the concrete was poured and sealed with the laminar jets running (also controlled with the screen logic on my smart phone)

View attachment 35175

Must be something with my laptop because I'm on my office pc and I see them fine. Sorry about it.
Hey, I see that you have the shooters; do you see that as the filter gets clogged that the shooters trajectory changes? Is it significant or am I just paranoid?
Would using VS pump change the flow as filter clogs enough to affect the pre-programmed flow on a water slide, or are we talking fractions of a percent in change?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There will always be small but noticeable changes in water jet trajectory due to several different things. If you clean the filter as we recommend those changes will stay fairly small. But if you let the filter get very very dirty they can become large changes.

Guys, I don't know why PB said the thing about Cali, and I don't want to derail this thread since I don't live in Cali and don't care what their ordinances are.
Since several people have mentioned it, I did a quick Google search https://www.google.com/search?&q=salt%20water%20pool%20california and came up with at lest few sites/articles that I don't know if it's environmentalists, lobbies, lies, or just companies pushing their own alternative products: http://www.lacsd.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=2329http://gochemless.com/salt-water-pools-banned/

I have not noticed any change in my jet trajectories due to filter build up, but I am pretty good about washing the filter cartridge after a psi increase of 5-8# which is about once a month ( just a hose-off and a full soak and clean at end of season) with the cover open a lot because I like running the laminars.

One thing to keep in mind is that I have the Pentair Magic Stream Laminars which are very different from the inexpensive jets/shooters commonly seen with backyard pool installs. These have their own power source and internal lights that use a current to make a perfect laser like stream from the jet all the way to the water without any break up. They also tie into the color scheme of the Pentair color led lights, so at night the streams are lighted (like lasers) and shift colors along with the pool lights. It is the reason I went with the single speed pump, that way the whole system is always running with same output from the pump. That way you just adjust the valves for the jets to set the arc heights and then my iphone just turns them on or off. The SWG is always putting the same amount of chlorine as well with the single speed pump. I know the VS pumps can do all this with more programming and such, and I might look at one when this one ever bites the dust. However I just wanted simple and I always tend to lean towards max performance vs energy savings/efficiency anyway, so would probably be running at top outputs regardless.

With my pump, I have the individual valves for each laminar only open about 1/4. If I opened them full, the stream would be 25ft in the air so their is plenty of stream length available in my set up anyway.

Just wanted to add my experience regarding "sensitivities". I used pucks when I first became a pool owner and would notice my skin would feel itchy when showering off after a swim. After I switched to a SWG it virtually eliminated the itchiness. I never researched what could be causing it, perhaps high CYA. But now that I have a balanced pool (with CYA I control), my skin is much happier. I am not advocating for the SWG, but I am advocating for a pool that you have total control over the chemistry of.

I've spoken to two local PB's this spring. They have both recommended against SWG .. They both mentioned corrosion. One of them complained about the pH spikes and having to use muratic acid. One of them recommended EZ Pool chemicals instead of a SWG. If I am going to convert to a SWG, I will be doing it against their recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.