Looks like I gotta slam my pool

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
For the past couple of days, I'm seeing green algae build up on the side walls after a couple of days of scrubbing. I don't want to blame the neighbor for their kids throwing a bunch of junk in my pool but I'm going to blame them anyways cause for 5 weeks I had no problems.

My reading as of 15 minutes ago

Temp - 58 Degrees
FC - .6
CC - 1
Ph - 7.8 (just added about 70oz of MA)
TA - 140
CYA - 40 (this has been my most concern but I'm relief to find that it's in check now)
CH - 350

I have 2G of 10% chlorine here, according to the chart, I'll need to bring my FC up to 16 so that's 3gal of chlorine so I'm going to have to buy a couple more jugs. Would 4 jugs be good or buy 6?

Does MA store well? Maybe I'll pick up another jug or two while I'm there.

oh ****, one more thing my cheapie test kit only goes up to 5 for chlorine. Anyway around this?

For the past couple of days, I'm seeing green algae build up on the side walls after a couple of days of scrubbing. I don't want to blame the neighbor for their kids throwing a bunch of junk in my pool but I'm going to blame them anyways cause for 5 weeks I had no problems.

My reading as of 15 minutes ago

Temp - 58 Degrees
FC - .6
CC - 1
Ph - 7.8 (just added about 70oz of MA)
TA - 140
CYA - 40 (this has been my most concern but I'm relief to find that it's in check now)
CH - 350

I have 2G of 10% chlorine here, according to the chart, I'll need to bring my FC up to 16 so that's 3gal of chlorine so I'm going to have to buy a couple more jugs. Would 4 jugs be good or buy 6?

Does MA store well? Maybe I'll pick up another jug or two while I'm there.

oh ****, one more thing my cheapie test kit only goes up to 5 for chlorine. Anyway around this?

No way around the FC test. You must have it, but you are getting those other numbers with something. Which kit is it? If it's a good one, you can order the FAS/DPD Free Chlorine kit alone.

I would just get the TF-100 (which includes all you need) and toss that "unbranded" kit.
They may still have free shipping if you get one of the options with the TF-100.

Really all the kit you do test for is : TC, pH and TA ... missing FC/CC, CH, and CYA ... and no real need for the acid demand.

I got a box of HTH super select shock treatment. I know powder is bad if it has Dichlor or TriChlor but this stupid bag only list 56.44% Calcium HypoChlorite and "Other" Ingredients 43.56% LOL WTH is other ingredients? Where do I find the whole list of the other ingredients?

actually found the other ingredients, does this look safe to use?

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erene...ECT_SHOCK_TREATMENT_11_6_2012_10_40_28_AM.pdf

FYI I contact HTH and they said it's unstabilized. So it doesn't raise CYA levels. I know you guys hear hate anything powder but with that said should I use it while I wait for the test kit?

It is cal-hypo ... it adds CH along with the chlorine. I would not want to add CH any faster that it will due to evaporation, but if you get a lot of rain, it could be fine. Usually liquid chlorine / bleach is cheaper if you look at the ppm of FC it adds.

It is cal-hypo ... it adds CH along with the chlorine. I would not want to add CH any faster that it will due to evaporation, but if you get a lot of rain, it could be fine. Usually liquid chlorine / bleach is cheaper if you look at the ppm of FC it adds.

We're expecting some rain tonight and through tomorrow. Not sure if it's enough to offset. I kind of don't wait to leave it untreated for the next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just as an FYI, the Home Depot kit you linked to is actually pretty good (for what few tests it provides). I bought the same kit the weekend we moved into our house (had a K-2006 on order). When I got the Taylor kit, I compared the readings (FC and pH) of the two kits and they were pretty much spot on. After you're done with your SLAM, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to use the HD kit for your daily tests and use your TF-100 once or twice a week as a sanity check.

Just as an FYI, the Home Depot kit you linked to is actually pretty good (for what few tests it provides). I bought the same kit the weekend we moved into our house (had a K-2006 on order). When I got the Taylor kit, I compared the readings (FC and pH) of the two kits and they were pretty much spot on. After you're done with your SLAM, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to use the HD kit for your daily tests and use your TF-100 once or twice a week as a sanity check.

I was gonna do the exact same thing but since you already did the comparison, that'll be one extra test that I wouldn't have to do. :thumleft:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.