Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looks like I gotta slam my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Looks like I gotta slam my pool

For the past couple of days, I'm seeing green algae build up on the side walls after a couple of days of scrubbing. I don't want to blame the neighbor for their kids throwing a bunch of junk in my pool but I'm going to blame them anyways cause for 5 weeks I had no problems.

My reading as of 15 minutes ago

Temp - 58 Degrees
    FC - .6
    CC - 1
    Ph - 7.8 (just added about 70oz of MA)
    TA - 140
    CYA - 40 (this has been my most concern but I'm relief to find that it's in check now)
    CH - 350

I have 2G of 10% chlorine here, according to the chart, I'll need to bring my FC up to 16 so that's 3gal of chlorine so I'm going to have to buy a couple more jugs. Would 4 jugs be good or buy 6?

Does MA store well? Maybe I'll pick up another jug or two while I'm there.

oh ****, one more thing my cheapie test kit only goes up to 5 for chlorine. Anyway around this?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looks like I gotta slam my pool

You need 3 jugs (assuming you math is correct) to just get to shock level ... then you need to MAINTAIN it there ... you are going to need more than 6 jugs.

Review the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process if you have not recently.

MA will last a long time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    For the past couple of days, I'm seeing green algae build up on the side walls after a couple of days of scrubbing. I don't want to blame the neighbor for their kids throwing a bunch of junk in my pool but I'm going to blame them anyways cause for 5 weeks I had no problems.

My reading as of 15 minutes ago

Temp - 58 Degrees
    FC - .6
    CC - 1
    Ph - 7.8 (just added about 70oz of MA)
    TA - 140
    CYA - 40 (this has been my most concern but I'm relief to find that it's in check now)
    CH - 350

I have 2G of 10% chlorine here, according to the chart, I'll need to bring my FC up to 16 so that's 3gal of chlorine so I'm going to have to buy a couple more jugs. Would 4 jugs be good or buy 6?

Does MA store well? Maybe I'll pick up another jug or two while I'm there.

oh ****, one more thing my cheapie test kit only goes up to 5 for chlorine. Anyway around this?
    No way around the FC test. You must have it, but you are getting those other numbers with something. Which kit is it? If it's a good one, you can order the FAS/DPD Free Chlorine kit alone.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

W/O knowing I purchased a home depot brand http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...2364/203796265

Does the TF-100 cover this test or do I need to buy the FAS/DPD Free Chlorine kit separate?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

5. Back To Top    #5

I would just get the TF-100 (which includes all you need) and toss that "unbranded" kit.
    They may still have free shipping if you get one of the options with the TF-100.

Really all the kit you do test for is : TC, pH and TA ... missing FC/CC, CH, and CYA ... and no real need for the acid demand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I went ahead and order the TF-100 will be here next Monday.

I guess they're not much I can do in the mean time? Maybe I'll go clean my grids.
    SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

I got a box of HTH super select shock treatment. I know powder is bad if it has Dichlor or TriChlor but this stupid bag only list 56.44% Calcium HypoChlorite and "Other" Ingredients 43.56% LOL WTH is other ingredients? Where do I find the whole list of the other ingredients?

actually found the other ingredients, does this look safe to use?

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenew...0_40_28_AM.pdf

FYI I contact HTH and they said it's unstabilized. So it doesn't raise CYA levels. I know you guys hear hate anything powder but with that said should I use it while I wait for the test kit?
    SF Bay

8. Back To Top    #8

It is cal-hypo ... it adds CH along with the chlorine. I would not want to add CH any faster that it will due to evaporation, but if you get a lot of rain, it could be fine. Usually liquid chlorine / bleach is cheaper if you look at the ppm of FC it adds.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    It is cal-hypo ... it adds CH along with the chlorine. I would not want to add CH any faster that it will due to evaporation, but if you get a lot of rain, it could be fine. Usually liquid chlorine / bleach is cheaper if you look at the ppm of FC it adds.
    We're expecting some rain tonight and through tomorrow. Not sure if it's enough to offset. I kind of don't wait to leave it untreated for the next week.
    SF Bay

10. Back To Top    #10

Powder is fine for certain things and situations. We only dislike the fact that many people selling them don't educate the buyer about the side effects of using them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Just as an FYI, the Home Depot kit you linked to is actually pretty good (for what few tests it provides). I bought the same kit the weekend we moved into our house (had a K-2006 on order). When I got the Taylor kit, I compared the readings (FC and pH) of the two kits and they were pretty much spot on. After you're done with your SLAM, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to use the HD kit for your daily tests and use your TF-100 once or twice a week as a sanity check.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
    Just as an FYI, the Home Depot kit you linked to is actually pretty good (for what few tests it provides). I bought the same kit the weekend we moved into our house (had a K-2006 on order). When I got the Taylor kit, I compared the readings (FC and pH) of the two kits and they were pretty much spot on. After you're done with your SLAM, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to use the HD kit for your daily tests and use your TF-100 once or twice a week as a sanity check.
    I was gonna do the exact same thing but since you already did the comparison, that'll be one extra test that I wouldn't have to do.
    SF Bay