ugh! Need to vent

swilk

Jul 23, 2011
Southwest Indiana
Last fall my 14 month old Hayward Sp2600 pump started making noises and leaking water .... it was time to button up the pool for the winter so I just drained the pump, ran some anti-freeze through it and forgot about it until this week.

I decided to go out this morning and take the pump apart to see what it might need and to my surprise it isnt the impeller that is bad .... the pump motor itself is locked up.

$700 pump lasted less than 2 seasons and a 1 year warranty.

ggrrrrr .... any suggestions on a new pump? Is it worth even trying to spray the shaft with penetrating oil and see if I can get it working again?

I have a Hayward Pro-Logic system that I wouldnt mind having a little more pump control than what the SP2600 offered anyway ......

Noise is usually the bearings in the motor after they get wet. At the first sign of water leaking, you needed to replace the shaft seal to protect the bearings. Did you leave the pump out in the snow too?

Normally I would suggest replacing just the motor, but I am not sure that is easily done on these VS pumps.
I think the only pump you can get full control over with the Pro Logic is the EcoStar, which is a good bit larger.

lol ... of course I left it out all winter. How else is a person supposed to learn lessons other than the hard way. :)

I decided on and ordered a Hayward TriStar VSP that I believe will work with the automation I have.

hahaha. I like you.

Hey, update once you get it installed. VSP's really interest me, so I'm always curious how they work for people. I'm still on a pleb pump (1spd).

FWIW, my brand new pentair whisperflo had a bad bearing which was replaced when the pool was 2-3mo old. (because it took the PB that long to believe me that the bearing was bad).

Pump motors don't lock up..... the bearings do. If you are handy, a few dollars worth of bearings and you are back in business.....

I might pop that bearing off and see about sourcing a replacement .... just to have a spare pump. The other one has already been ordered and paid for.

Depending on how much water got to it the motor itself may be bad .... it is salt water pool and salt water and those various metals dont play well together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.