Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ugh! Need to vent

1. Back To Top    #1

ugh! Need to vent

Last fall my 14 month old Hayward Sp2600 pump started making noises and leaking water .... it was time to button up the pool for the winter so I just drained the pump, ran some anti-freeze through it and forgot about it until this week.

I decided to go out this morning and take the pump apart to see what it might need and to my surprise it isnt the impeller that is bad .... the pump motor itself is locked up.

$700 pump lasted less than 2 seasons and a 1 year warranty.

ggrrrrr .... any suggestions on a new pump? Is it worth even trying to spray the shaft with penetrating oil and see if I can get it working again?

I have a Hayward Pro-Logic system that I wouldnt mind having a little more pump control than what the SP2600 offered anyway ......
    19600 gallon 18x36 IG vinyl liner over full length steel steps. 4'x8' sun ledge. Sport bottom 3.5-6.5'.
    Hayward equipment including SP3200 VSP, Pro Logic, T-15, S210S sand filter, 140k Heat Pump and Colorlogic light.
    Under track auto cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ugh! Need to vent

Noise is usually the bearings in the motor after they get wet. At the first sign of water leaking, you needed to replace the shaft seal to protect the bearings. Did you leave the pump out in the snow too?

Normally I would suggest replacing just the motor, but I am not sure that is easily done on these VS pumps.
    I think the only pump you can get full control over with the Pro Logic is the EcoStar, which is a good bit larger.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

lol ... of course I left it out all winter. How else is a person supposed to learn lessons other than the hard way.

I decided on and ordered a Hayward TriStar VSP that I believe will work with the automation I have.
    19600 gallon 18x36 IG vinyl liner over full length steel steps. 4'x8' sun ledge. Sport bottom 3.5-6.5'.
    Hayward equipment including SP3200 VSP, Pro Logic, T-15, S210S sand filter, 140k Heat Pump and Colorlogic light.
    Under track auto cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pump motors don't lock up..... the bearings do. If you are handy, a few dollars worth of bearings and you are back in business.....

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by swilk View Post
    lol ... of course I left it out all winter. How else is a person supposed to learn lessons other than the hard way.

I decided on and ordered a Hayward TriStar VSP that I believe will work with the automation I have.
    hahaha. I like you.

Hey, update once you get it installed. VSP's really interest me, so I'm always curious how they work for people. I'm still on a pleb pump (1spd).

FWIW, my brand new pentair whisperflo had a bad bearing which was replaced when the pool was 2-3mo old. (because it took the PB that long to believe me that the bearing was bad).
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Pump motors don't lock up..... the bearings do. If you are handy, a few dollars worth of bearings and you are back in business.....
    I might pop that bearing off and see about sourcing a replacement .... just to have a spare pump. The other one has already been ordered and paid for.

Depending on how much water got to it the motor itself may be bad .... it is salt water pool and salt water and those various metals dont play well together.
    Under track auto cover.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I dread having to install regular pump motors any more. It seems like they are all junk.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

There are some really good youtube videos on bearing replacement.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!