New House, New Pool, LIFE IS GOOD!!!

sgarofalo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Mount Pleasant/Wi
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little update on what we have going on.

My name is Steve, and my wife and I closed on a new(er) home last Friday!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!

House was built in 1985 and I believe the pool was not long after that.

What we have is a 22,041 gallon in-ground pool with a vinyl liner, documentation that we found at the house call it a Lazy L shape.

Found some additional documentation that the previous owners put in a new liner last year, so in theory somewhat new water in there, and hopefully not to much to "un-do" from their previous un-educated local pool store ways!

It has a Baker II Series HR-24 SandFilter and a Dura-Glass pump. Not sure of the ages on these but I will attach pics and also get a better shot of the model of the pump.

Everything is plumbed into the Garage where the filter and pump are housed and connected to the intake and return lines under the ground level deck to the pool. Maybe 20' from the garage to the pool, but obviously a little longer for some of the runs I would guess.

Its still winterized, and have documentation that it there was antifreeze put in the pipes prior to closing last fall. Currently only has what looks like a black plastic cover being held down with those water filled tubes to hold it in place. I did take a peek and it looks pretty DARK in there so some cleanup is definitely going to be in order to get it running. The previous owners did leave "instructions" on how to open/close and maintain the pool.. Basically the regurgitated talk from the local pool store, chlorine pucks in the skimmer, shock once a week, bla...bla..blaaaa...

I do plan on using the trusted and verified methods you all are using here on the TFP site for our maint. Prior to closing I did order the TF100 test kit last Wednesday before we closed and it arrived SATURDAY already! First package delivered to the new house was my super awesome test kit and stirrer option!!!!! Looking around for local chlorine / bleach options now.

Sorry for the book, but thought it would be best to provide as much information as I had before asking my newbie questions :)

1. Should I run the full set of tests now to get a baseline of where the water is at before opening the pool and post the numbers now to get some idea of where to start with?

2. I Plan on getting a robotic cleaner, but one of the items I read in the liner warranty documentation claims that these could potentially harm the new liner. Is that just liner company propaganda to protect them against warranty claims? I was looking at the Dolphin Nautilus and like the features I've read about that.

3. One of our local stores (Farm and Fleet) actually sells a 55 gallon drum of liquid bleach, for $98 normally and I've seen it onsale for $78 recently. Only downfall is it contains only 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite but pretty cheap in price.. Not sure if I would even go through that much in a season before it loses its effective "shelf-life"

The previous owners also said they have bought liquid chlorine from a local chemical company in 5 gallon containers for $18 each, looked up on their website and it says it has 15% Hypochlorite and only about 3 miles from my house. http://dwdavies.com/product/pool-khlor Might go this route as it is almost as cheap as Walmart bleach, closer to home, and a higher concentration of Hypochlorite. Thought I would ask you guys first though....

Just wanted to thank everyone in advance, and to the TFP site for providing such awesome information! After reading all of this, I feel WAY more confident in getting the pool up and running with the least amount of hassles!!!!

(p.s. I'll be updating my signature with all the pertinent information next so it shows on all posts)

Attachments

• pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 115
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 113
  • pool6.jpg
    pool6.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 112
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. The pool needs to circulate for at least an hour before testing. If the pool is running, by all means run a full set of tests.
2. Not sure
3. I would not want to buy in bulk that much. As you said the strength will drop before you could use the entire drum. The chemical company sounds like a better deal.

FYI: To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. The pool needs to circulate for at least an hour before testing. If the pool is running, by all means run a full set of tests.
2. Not sure
3. I would not want to buy in bulk that much. As you said the strength will drop before you could use the entire drum. The chemical company sounds like a better deal.

FYI: To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.

Thanks Jbizzle, I do plan on becoming a TFP Supporter and will set that up tonight when I get home.

Still pretty chilly here in Southeastern Wi. But I imagine within the next few weeks we will be pulling the cover off and getting the pool going.

Going to do a deep clean of the sand filter first just so I know what I am starting with, no idea if the previous owners ever did anything like that or not before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.