New Plaster Stains

Had my pool replastered 6 months ago. My pool guy evidently didn't follow instructions for new pools, i.e. chemicals, etc. The contractor says its not his fault the whole pool is leaching (even though other people say it is). I am going to have to sue both of them, but what do I do in the meantime. The dumb pool guy just acid washed my new plaster and it got a little lighter but its still leaching something. Can someone help! (hopefully someone that knows of this problem). Is my new plaster ruined now because of the acid was done to it?

Hi Thomas, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to start off with a question, but what do you mean the plaster is leaching? We can probably help answer some questions with this, but the short answer about your plaster being ruined because of acid wash is no, not necessarily at all. Generally speaking, plaster appearance problems are rarely due to startup issues, but rather the quality of the install in the first place. Many builders like to say this is the reason, but it usually has little to do with how a finish looks. Tell us more about the leaching, and whatever else is going on with the new finish.

Welcome to TFP!

You haven't really described what the problem is, so there isn't any way I can comment on your situation. Please describe more about what you mean by "the whole pool is leaching" and in what way you think the "plaster ruined" might apply? It would also be a huge help if you posted some photos of the problem and a complete set of water test results.

I say its leaching, because it is completely stained. Greyish color. Can see pool guys wheel marks from his vacuum and its all over the sides of the pool. I don't seem to be able to attach a pic, but your website shows the pictures that look exactly like my pool does, but I cant figure out how to fix or who to blame! Calcium hardness is 130 and Phosphates is 200, Cyanuric Acid is at 0!?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/26837-New-plaster-stains

Acid washing does slightly reduce the lifetime of the plaster, it is also a very standard treatment for scaling, mottling and embedded staining (any of which would fit your description).

How about PH, TA, FC, CC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Why are TFP's recommended levels so different than my equipment manufacturer's?

Chemists are like doctors, blood test ranges can also vary, but not that much. I am leaning towards blaming my pool guy vs. the contractor, but then I read the contractor could have done all sorts of stuff wrong to cause this problem as well as the pool guy. Need someone to blame and fix.

I moved this post to this thread as it did not make sense in the thread I found it in. jblizzle

Ok,

There isn't anything in those numbers to indicate a problem that would discolor the plaster. I would like seeing some pictures, and understand what you mean by the "leaching" you mentioned. If that's just the discoloration, it happened during install. Not after the pool was filled, and it's called streaking or mottling. Without knowing more, and assuming those have been pretty typical numbers since filling, I'm not ready to place any blame on the chemistry. At all. Again, most appearance issues are by far caused by the installer/install quality. They often blame the chemistry, and it is hardly, if ever ever the reason.

Aside from the finish, those numbers are about to lead you into trouble with Algae. I wouldn't be advising you well if I didn't suggest you getting a good test kit, start learning about pool chemistry and addressing those numbers. Your Cya needs to start increasing soon, the FC needs to come up now, and the pH will soon be out of range to the high side. Forget about the phosphate number.

Start with the ABCs in pool school for a look at the essential basics. The link is above at the top of the forum, as well as the pool school links in my signature.

I hire people to clean my pool, don't need to know much if the guy did his job right. Taking both of them to court since one expert said is was caused by the startup and the other says its the plaster. pics are too hard to see, but I just hired a new guy and he said it had to be from the startup also. so go figure.

Alright then.

I gave my opinion, and it's based on some expert research done by a long time plaster expert who used to install. As he says, it's rare for it to be a chemical issue. Usually, it's the install. Good luck on your case. :cheers:

I think you might have trouble mounting a case if you don't learn the rudiments of chemistry here. If you can take the time to acquire a test kit, brush up on pool school a bit, and answer some questions, I suspect there are some knowledgeable posters here who might be able to point you in the right direction. The side benefit, of course, would be that you would be better able to assess and direct your pool service.

I DONT THINK I will have a problem. experts from all over the world differ in opinions about whose fault caused this problem. The plasterer or the pool startup guy not checking the chemicals like the ph and alkalinity levels, not brushing the pool correctly, etc. so, sue em both and they will both blame each other in court like they have been doing for a week, get it. Then the judge can decide himself. I will email you a copy of the judgement when I get it. Probably wont even have to testify as these two idiots will just blame each other and that's it! lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.