do you shock the pool right before opening time?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
We're counting down the days to open the pool. It'll be our 1st season with the pool. I've actually shocked the pool a few months ago to clear the swap, now that every filter element has been replaced, the pool filtration is all new from the pump down to the pressure gauge.

Over the last couple months, I'm learning about pool chemistry and what not, something is telling me I don't have it all dial in yet cause I walked into some algae growth yesterday, measured my FC and it was down to 1, CYA seems to have spiked but perhaps I was in a hurry so I didn't get an accurate test. Long story short, scrubbed the algae, dumped a gallon of 10% chlorine in and been away since. I'm going to have some time to do some thorough testing tomorrow.

That said, should I shock the pool again a few days before allowing the kids to jump in?

Also, I plan on keeping the pool temperature @ around 90 to 95 degrees all season long. Would this also change how I need to manage my water chemistry?

If you have even a little Algae, you need to SLAM it. This is not a once and done event. Please read the SLAM link in my signature line. Follow that procedure. Just shocking a little will let algae grow again and again. What we show in our shock procedure kills all of it. We will help walk you through it, so let us know, and we'll be here to answer questions. Do I recall that you ordered a proper test kit? If not, you'll need one of the recommended ones to get this done.

Without seeing numbers from your pool I can only say that you have to be more careful with pH, TA, and CH management at higher temps. Also, Free Chlorine will leave the pool faster at higher temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.