Test results after partial drain / refill

jjmac

Mar 19, 2015
Allen, Texas
Ok, finally got around to draining / refilling to fix CYA problem. Also ordered the TF-100 test kit to get more accurate results. I'm pretty happy where it came out at, I think I can work with these numbers:

FC: 3
CC: .5
pH: 7.8
TA: 100
CH: 350
CYA: 60

So, according to what I've learned here, CYA is on the high side but from here on out I'll be using liquid chlorine so I think I can just let it drift down, it was 100+ before so I'm pretty happy to see it at least in acceptable range. The first thing I need to do is get FC up, according to the chart it needs to be around 7, and it's currently below the minimum (of course I guess that might be expected considering I just filled). I didn't have a CH test prior to the drain / refill, but the fact it's at 350 AFTER replacing half the water tells me it was pretty darned high before.

What other recommendations do you guys have for me with these results? Do I need to SLAM the pool since I just replaced so much water?

Thanks again, you guys are the best.

You are in reasonably good shape. The main thing you need to do is to get your FC level up. I recommend aiming a little higher than normal for the first day or two, just to be sure you don't lose control of things. Then let it drift back down to our recommended levels and settle into your routine.

Longer term you are probably going to want to lower the TA level, but I doubt there is any rush on that. If PH drifts up annoyingly quickly, then attack TA more aggressively. But most likely it will be fine dealing with it over several weeks or a couple of months. The simple and slower approach is simply to lower PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8 for as long as TA is higher than our recommendations. Over time that will bring the TA level down.

Finally, you will want to get a CH reading on your fill water, to get an idea if managing CH levels is going to be an on-going issue or not.

Ok, so I performed the overnight loss test just to see where I was at. FC was at 8 before bed last night, and 6.5 first thing this morning, so I decided to go ahead and SLAM just to keep ahead of any problems that might crop up, I just don't want to take any chances.

But what is bothering me a little more right now is the pH. I took it down to 7.2 yesterday evening, and tonight it was already back up to 7.8+. I put in enough muriatic acid to bring it back down to 7.2, but I'm not sure if I should just keep doing that or address the issue in some other manner.

Ok, I've been testing pH just to see where it was, it hit 7.5 on it's own this morning and hasn't changed. I guess the SLAM is over, I only lost 1ppm FC last night and this evening CC was 0, water is crystal clear and 75 degrees... I'm about ready for a swim!

I'm so glad I found this forum, not only is it easy and rewarding to maintain your pool on your own, but I'm finding it enjoyable... In the same way I find mowing the lawn enjoyable.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.