Idea to add water features w/o digging using a self priming pump

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
We're thinking about adding a waterfall to our existing pool. My main concern is having to break away all the existing pavers and digging and drilling a to run a new intake pipe for the pump. All the vibration from the jack hammer could crack the plastic since I have a very narrow clearance to work with. So what if I used clear PVC pipes and run it down the side of the pool behind the waterfall a few feet down then use a self priming pump. Would this idea work? It'll be a relatively small, the whole aquascape will probably be 4-5ft wide, 3ft deep and 3-4ft high.

Do you have a picture of the pool? That may help with ideas. Are you wanting to have a pump that has a suction that runs down into the pool under the waterfall? Without actually breaking into the pool shell to install a suction port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that any pump needs to be at least 5 feet horizontally from the water.

Also, any suction ports either need to be dual ports at least 3 feet apart with listed safety covers, or meet one of the other listed safety categories.

Where you see that water fountain is about where we're want to have our waterfall. Mainly to cover the ugly fence in the back and that's also the focal point looking out from inside the home. As you can see, I have a very tight space back there.

IMG_20150405_151247.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that any pump needs to be at least 5 feet horizontally from the water.

Also, any suction ports either need to be dual ports at least 3 feet apart with listed safety covers, or meet one of the other listed safety categories.

Now that would be another issue, I have maybe 3.5ft from the water line to the fence. :(

Is that statement true for inline pumps only? What about a submersible pump? Perhaps some copping rocks that drop below the water line and hide the pump behind it?

I don't know if there are submersible pumps that are actually rated to be in use while the pool is occupied. Maybe jasonlion could answer that. My utility pump says it's not rated to be used in a pool like that.

Is that whole area concrete and pavers? You could pop pavers up and dig a shallow trench right under them to lay pvc in over to the waterfall. If there is concrete, you can rent a concrete saw instead of using a jackhammer. Then you wouldn't have to worry about cracking anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so put a T at the discharge after the heater with a gate/ball valve and divert the flow to the fountain? the steps you see where the fountain is actually concrete that's been stained red. Cutting the concrete don't sound like a bad idea.

so put a T at the discharge after the heater with a gate/ball valve and divert the flow to the fountain? the steps you see where the fountain is actually concrete that's been stained red. Cutting the concrete don't sound like a bad idea.

That's exactly what I would do! Put two valves in. One to the pool, the other to the waterfall. Even with the waterfall wide open you may want more flow and the second valve would give you that. It could also be put in later if you see that you need it, and don't want to do it up front.

My pump is approx 2700 to 3k gph. according to the size of the waterfall I have in mind, I'll need 1500 to 2500gph. Let's say I go with the low end and split it 50/50. The direction of the flow is now thrown off to efficiently circulate water from what side of the pool to the other where the skimmer is. Should I be concerned or am I over worrying?

As long as you still have 30% to 40% going to the returns you can still get good pool water circulation. It may take some minor adjustments to get a good circulation pattern at the lower flow rates, but it isn't especially difficult. The waterfall will only impact the circulation if it is given the great majority of the available flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.