salt cell replacement

Bigozz

In The Industry
Nov 2, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi im a poolman in the L.A area i have a customer that has a RC42 Autopilot salt cell its maybe about 2 yrs old since autopilot tech replaced old one including control power box which was about 5yrs old. i noticed cell is giving out 1.6 amps with 32v at module i wash out cell twice and its still giving me 1.7amps meaning cell is not producing chlorine. i called autopilot and there saying cell might be depleted and warranty doesnt cover depleted cells want to know if maybe you know what might of caused depletion and why so soon? I tested water salt is at 3700ppm,stabilizer at 80 ,ph 7.5. i tested hardness and its pretty hi at around 700 she also turns heater on almost everyday on spa mode.

Welcome to TFP!

One possibility is that the cell has been used a lot. Cells have a lifetime measured in hours turned on. A typical cell will last about 10,000 hours at full power. So the more hours a day the cell is active, the shorter the calendar time it will last. With AutoPilot units you can get a read out of amp hours, divide the by the maximum amp rating for the kind of cell involved and get an estimate of how much of the cell life has been used up. AutoPilot seems to be claiming that this is the issue. If the pool is large and/or the pump is run a high percentage of the time and/or the percentage setting on the SWG is high this might make sense, or it might not.

Another possibility is that the high CH level has resulted in scaling on the cell plates. Visually inspect the cell plates and make sure they don't need cleaning. An inter-related issue is that if you have to clean the cell plates too often the cell lifetime will get shorter. With hardness around 700 that seems like a real possibility, though there really isn't enough information here to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.