Help me identify 2 items

jjmac

Mar 19, 2015
Allen, Texas
*** Solved, thanks again! The pipe is a drain from the patio, and the inlet is called an equalization port to allow drawing water even if the skimmer is full of leaves.

-----------------------------------

I finally got around to a partial drain / refill to correct CYA issues from previous owner. While in the process of all this, I've noticed two items in my pool setup that I'm not sure what the function is.

First, there is a pipe that I have no idea what it's for. It leads directly out into the alley behind my house, but I don't know where it comes from. There does not seem to be any valves to return water into this pipe, and there is already a different pipe that acts as overflow for the pool water. I had assumed I would be able to use this second pipe to drain my pool, but I couldn't figure out how to use it so I ended up siphoning water and using the pressure release valve on top of the filter to drain water.

Second, there is an inlet directly under the deep end skimmer in the pool. It seems to be connected to this skimmer, when I am pulling water from the skimmer this inlet has suction on it. I would have assumed it was for some kind of cleaner, but I already have a different port for the Kreepy Krauly. Is this just a second port for something else if I wanted it? Would it be wise to use it for something?

Thanks everyone! I'm well on my way to having my own trouble free pool thanks to you guys.

equipment-and-valves_zpsf3hki1eo.png

unknown-pipe_zpsz6aif5zx.png

unknown-inlet_zpsrc898ilk.png

Last edited:
I believe the other pool return looking thing is a water balancer for the skimmer in case it gets totally clogged. Where does that extra pvc drain pipe go? Are they trying to get to a garden or something for extra overflow?

Hang on, looked at pic again, is it coming from that gutter in the corner of the house or a deck drain?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice pool btw!

The port below the skimmer is called an equalization port. It allows the skimmer to draw in some water even if the skimmer basket is totally filled with leaves.

The pipe in the lawn doesn't look pool related.

Yup you're both exactly right. I didn't notice it before, but the back patio has a drain in the middle, I stuck the water hose on the drain and 15 seconds later water comes out of this pipe (and also 2 tennis balls, a whiffle ball, a racquette ball and one of those plastic golfballs for practicing, I think the previous owner might have had a dog). Thank you both, it seems that all mysteries are solved. So glad I found this forum :)

Yup you're both exactly right. I didn't notice it before, but the back patio has a drain in the middle, I stuck the water hose on the drain and 15 seconds later water comes out of this pipe (and also 2 tennis balls, a whiffle ball, a racquette ball and one of those plastic golfballs for practicing, I think the previous owner might have had a dog). Thank you both, it seems that all mysteries are solved. So glad I found this forum :)

LOL, that is awesome! Dog or kid right? That is hilarious. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.