Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Open- Heater Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

First Open- Heater Issues

We built our pool last summer and this is our first season opening the pool. Everything has gone well however I am not sure the heater is working.

I don't have any error codes and I can hear the heater humming along nicely, however when I reach into the pool the return water is not warm (and it would be noticeable with the water temp barely above 50-degrees). I do not remember a big time lag when the return water started to warm up when we used the heater last year, but could that be it? Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks.
    20x46 Rectangle IG Vinyl, Completion date mid-June 2014
    Depth 3'-3.5'-8', ~35,000 gallons, Hayward 310 Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, ProLogic PS4 Automation w/ SWG
    Textured liner over corner stairs w/ 20' bench, 2 LED Lights, 2 Pentair Laminar Jets, Hayward Sharkvac and TF-100 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Open- Heater Issues

Is it a heat pump or a gas heater? I don't have a heater (unfortunately) but a friend has a gas heater and the water from the returns is hot. My solar panels water doesn't feel very much warmer this time of year, but I do gain 3-5 degrees on a sunny day.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, that was the one thing not in my signature -- it's a 400K BTU natural gas heater. Normally the return water gets really warm, but it isn't yet.
    Depth 3'-3.5'-8', ~35,000 gallons, Hayward 310 Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, ProLogic PS4 Automation w/ SWG
    Textured liner over corner stairs w/ 20' bench, 2 LED Lights, 2 Pentair Laminar Jets, Hayward Sharkvac and TF-100 Testkit

4. Back To Top    #4

The heater can only warm the water several degrees on each pass through, so you might not notice the difference right away. People are good at judging small temperature differences close to body temperature, but as it gets colder it get very difficult to notice a small difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, the good news is that it is a lot easier to troubleshoot a gas heater. Is it on fire or not. Probably just a function that there is so much temp differential that it is harder to tell that it is warmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info, Jason. Very helpful.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

With water temps in the 50's, it is usually not recommended to use the heater per the manufacturers recommendations.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,