SGS swg experiences anyone?

Gary.B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2015
Orlando FL
Looking for a basic ' No frills' Swg, just need a constant baseline chlorine output.

Background: Short term Vacation rental property; varying weekly bather load; non 'techy' caretaker ( i'm not on site); 85 plus water temp 12 months of the year. Previously plenty of pool problems with usual trichlor tabs/pool service.

Reading all the posts on Swg's on here and on the internet, looks like all makes can have there own problems/issues with electronics , cells, flow sensors etc, so I'm considering the SGS swg, noticed a number of peolpe on the forum have them on their signature and wondering what your real world experiences have been with them?

I've spoken to the factory twice and on each occasion got put thru to a very knowledgeable tech, which should be a plus for setup/install and future issues if they should arise.

These are my thoughts:

Pros;

Would appear good Tech support.(Arizona factory)
No fancy electronics to go wrong.( one really basic mini PCB) no LCD screen, no touch screen buttons.
No temp sensor or flow switch to go wrong ( passive flow sensor basically sensors presents of water - not flow)
Clear cell, so easy to see if any build up of calcium and can see the cell working ( saves dismantling to see if periodic cell cleaning is required)
Easy cell dis-assembly when required, only one hand tight union and cell inners slide out from the end.
Nothing to program, up and down buttons for output % and on / off.
No salt ppm reading, just low salt shut down to protect the cell.
Full itemised exploded view of unit in the manual with manufactures part numbers ( and there are not many parts)
Made in the USA.
5yr guarantee, yr 4&5 pro rata ( 60/40%)
$725 with shipping for the 40K unit , 1.35 pounds output (24hr).

Cons:

Only has 25%,50%,75%,100% step options plus 'super chlorinate'. ( no one on site on a daily basis anyway to fine tune)
No salt ppm, so will require manual check ( I assume that will not need to be done too often?)
Appears to be a relatively unknown make?
No temp compensation ( but probably not required in Florida climate, pool is always at 85+ degrees and I am anticipating manual weekly liquid chlorine top up anyway)

Anything else I should consider?

I have had mine for just over a year, so I can't really comment on the longevity of it, but I have had absolutely no issues with it so far. My model is the Si-40, but I think it is identical to what is now called the Si-45. It is different from the SJ series.

Thanks for the reply, just spoke with 'Discount Salt Pool' about the SJ- series apparently they are made to Circupool specifications by SGS, that explains why they look/operate in a similar fashion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.