Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterner Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Sterner Pump

I ordered the liquidator and am no considering going to the sterner pump instead. My questions are...
    What size pump?
    What model?
    High pressure or low pressure one? I am thinking of injecting it where my nature drain plug is.
    where to buy?
    Located in Lebanon,Pennsylvania.. 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster Pool Installed Fall of 2011...
    Stenner 3GPD pump
    Jandy DEV60 60SqFt DE Filter (Using Puri fiber.)..,1.5Hp Jandy Pump PMPH1.5
    Aqucal SQ 166R Heater...Polaris 9400 Robot/Cleaner
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sterner Pump

I would say high pressure. The size/model will depend on how much chlorine you need to inject during your pump run time.

Check out my Stenner install and you will,find how I did the math for my pool to determine what size/run time.

USWatersystems seems to have the best prices and they ship quickly

Your other choice will be 110v or 220v. You will decide this based on how you will turn the Stenner off/on. Make sure what ever means you use that the Stenner can't run with out the circulation pump running or it will sit and fill the pipe at the injection point with chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

There have been quite a few recent stenner pump threads. Might try a search, upper right hand corner, on stenner for some extra info.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're planning on using a fixed speed pump, you'll need to also get a timer to operate it. For a 25,000 gallon pool you'll need about a 5 or 10 gpd injection pump. I'd recommend the 10 gpd for extra capacity.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

This is the exact pump that I ordered from US Water Systems-

Stenner 45MPHP22 Single Head Fixed Output High Pressure Pump
    1/4" UV Black Tubing
    120V 60Hz
    30 Gallon UV Gray (Includes Rain Roof)

I use this outdoor timer that I bought from Amazon to run it. I used the injection point from the tablet feeder that I replaced.

6. Back To Top    #6

I purchased the low pressure unit -- 45MP1 -- and I'm very happy with it. As long as you're injecting after the filter I think high pressure would be overkill. Run time for me is 3 hours per day currently. I set mine to run off one of the AUX relays in my automation system.

One thing to be aware of that caught me off guard: The stenner pumps come with everything you need to get going -- including the tubing and "injector nozzle". Very easy to setup.
    15k gunite pool with attached spa; iAqualink controller; Intelliflo VF pump; hayward cartridge filter; Heliocol solar panels; Hayward H250 natural gas heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I just finished installing a Stenner pump a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it. I had many of the same questions you did. You can check out my build, where I got good advise.

I ended up purchasing this pump from usawatersystems based on the recommendations from this forum.
    39' x 18' IG 3.5X4.5X9 34k gallon w/ raised spa, 3 stone scupers
    Jandy 60 SqFt DE, Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy JXi400 heater, Jandy 2.0 EPump w/SVRS
    A&A Manufacturing ICS w/G4 venturi heads
    2 incandescent lights in pool, 1 in spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

The high pressure system includes a check valve and is otherwise identical. The check valve is good to have, though not totally essential.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I went with the 10 GPD 45MHP10 adjustable out put 220V and a UV tank. I figure i can connect it directly to my timer where the filter pump is connected... That way when the filter pump runs the stenner is running.
    Located in Lebanon,Pennsylvania.. 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster Pool Installed Fall of 2011...
    Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mkohr View Post
    I went with the 10 GPD 45MHP10 adjustable out put 220V and a UV tank. I figure i can connect it directly to my timer where the filter pump is connected... That way when the filter pump runs the stenner is running.
    it is going to show up with a cord and plug installed. While some folks cut off the plug and just wire to the timer, I added a receptacle to the timer to plug the Stenner in. You can see it on my install page I linked above.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Remember that these pumps can be increased or decreased in output simply by changing out the tube. So if you find that the size of pump you got isn't doing what you want, you can change it.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

12. Back To Top    #12

I am looking at removing my Nature 2 Fusion system. this is connected with two black unions to the fusion vessel itself.
    I would like to find fitting that would be able to connect to these so i can pipe threw what i removed without cutting and gluing existing piping.
    I also figured this would be a good place to put a tee for the injection pump fitting.
    The question us where do i find the other 1/2 of those black unions?
    Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

That's a good idea, but I don't know where you could get the union halves. Post a pic of them and maybe someone will have a suggestion.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I take it the nature 2 is after your filter. If the two unions face the same direction you will have to get two and only use one side. If they are opposite then you will only need one union. The female side would go to one and the male to the other side. I don't know of a place that has just one side if the union. A good picture will show us how many you will need.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

15. Back To Top    #15

I had a Power Clean Ultra inline chlorinator that was plumbed into my system using unions. Unfortunately, it was not a standard union size (or at least a size I knew of), so I could not simply replace it with a tee for the injection fitting. It would be nice if the Nature 2 Fusion used standard unions.
    39' x 18' IG 3.5X4.5X9 34k gallon w/ raised spa, 3 stone scupers
    Jandy 60 SqFt DE, Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy JXi400 heater, Jandy 2.0 EPump w/SVRS
    A&A Manufacturing ICS w/G4 venturi heads
    2 incandescent lights in pool, 1 in spa.

16. Back To Top    #16

This is a picture of the unions I need the other 1/2 of.

Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Unfortunately those don't look like anything standard. You may be able to something to fit them. Even if you can't, it's pretty easy to cut that piece out and replumb a pair of unions in it's place.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

They look like that same unions that connect to the pump as well as the filter

Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Those are pool specific unions. They are odd ball size and you will need two male side unions. I don't think you can find them individual so your only going to use half. It looks too close to your tee on the left. I think your only real option is two couplings, tee, and two unions of standard size. I don't frequent them, but a pool store might be your only bet.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jcowart View Post
    Those are pool specific unions. They are odd ball size and you will need two male side unions. I don't think you can find them individual so your only going to use half. It looks too close to your tee on the left. I think your only real option is two couplings, tee, and two unions of standard size. I don't frequent them, but a pool store might be your only bet.
    2 female union sides.

Since nature 2 is not Zodiac, and those really look a lot like Zodiac units. I bet you could use these http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/Z...FYKVfgod9WMA-Q
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast