Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC 60 mil membrane liner as option for leaking 50 year old hybrid pool

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC 60 mil membrane liner as option for leaking 50 year old hybrid pool

Hello -

i am researching options to fix my ever-leaking 50 year old hybrid pool (fiberglass walls and stairs/Concrete floor. I painted the pool with an epoxy paint 8 years ago and had someone fix a leak on the bottom drain a few years ago.

i would like a permanent option (20 years) to fix the leaking pool.

An option that seems permanent but also expensive is having someone come on site and install a 60 mil PVC membrane. Does anyone have experience with companies that provide this service? I have contacted 2 companies out of Indianapolis (Natare and Renosys) and they seem highly reputable but very expensive $18 - $20,000 for a 25 x 40 kidney shape pool. Most of their references are with commercial accounts (hotels and public pools). The company would come on site for a week and seam weld the liner in place.

I am out of upstate NY and like to hear your thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - i also found some really good videos on this type of process from ELBTALPLASTICS out of Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AebpfGU13Lo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC 60 mil membrane liner as option for leaking 50 year old hybrid pool

It would be much less expensive to install a vinyl liner. It wouldn't last 20 years, but three of them over 20 years would still be less expensive than the membrane.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason - thanks for the quick response. My pool is a free form design, can a vinyl liner manufacturers create a custom liner and how would the liner manufacturer measure the dimensions of my pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, liners can be made in any size/shape. More complex shapes often cost a little more, but not unreasonably so.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again - i will contact a few local pool dealers to see if they can offer this service. Are there any vinyl pool liner manufacturers that you would recommend?

6. Back To Top    #6

Question - how would the vinyl liner be attached at the top of the pool walls, there is no coping.

pool image 4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

another pool.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

A track will need to be installed around the top edge. Without coping it will be fairly visible.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Ten you might take a look at eco finish. It is a thermally applied plastic. Contact the corny and see if anyone in your area is doing it.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

Swimcmp - thanks for the response. i would like to check out the eco finish but who is "corny"?

10. Back To Top    #10

19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the info and i did find a local dealer.

Has anyone had this solution applied to their pool and what were results and cost?